Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

⚛ Latest posts ↓

All Ages Most Interesting Event In History

This is an extremely hard question to answer, due to the fact that so much happened in our past!

I'd probably say... Oh my goodness I can't even choose. I'd like to hear other peoples' comments on this thread.

Great question by the way!

Let's hear it for some naval exploits!

The idiom, "to turn a blind eye" is rumored to have come from the great British navy commander of all time: Admiral Horatio Nelson. During one navy battle, he was ordered by a higher-up to withdraw his ships and retreat. The order was delivered via flag signals. Admiral Nelson, being the suave, navy mastermind that he was, put his telescope over his blind eye, and uttered the famous words which we now use to refer to an instance when we ignore something critical or important.

And another one!

Whenever the Romans wanted to re-enact their greatest navy exploits, they would fill up the Colosseum with tons of water, enough to keep an entire squadron of ships afloat and shoot at each other with flaming arrows, catapults, and whatever type of weaponry was used during the battle being re-enacted. Re-enactments are supposed to be 'pretend' sessions, but for the Romans, it meant having those "pretend" people die.

Yea sheesh. Talk about a loaded question! There's only all of human interaction to choose from!

Probably for me, the most interesting aspect of history I learned was everything involving WWII. Just the whole concept of appeasement to Hitler, how we responded to Pearl Harbor, and just the fact that we as a race could cause such utter destruction against one another.

Ooh, definitely a difficult question. I'd probably say the American Civil War or the American Revolution, but that might just be because they were the most recent topics I studied. I just find the whole concept of nation building to be interesting, and then the American way of doing it was rather new at the time. And you get to see how the foundations were laid for one of the most important nations today (I'm sure you can debate that importance, but I stand by my assertions).

I think the period of the Ptolemaic dynasty in Egypt with the way Greece took over power was very interesting. At first I would have said my choice would be the Egyptian world power, but then I realized it was really the Grecian world power. But specifically how they took over Greece. We had many hands on activities in school about both cultures, the food, death rites, etc. And it was really fun and left a long-term impression on me.

Short question but I have a lot of answers, but I will stick to two main things. The war between Greeks and Persians, and WWII. I like to look into the strategies employed by the great generals of the past. I have a lot of books on battles during those times, as well as others.

I think the most interesting event in history in my opinion is the tragic dropping of atomic bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima. Previously, there bombs had not been used before in warfare and this changed the course of history. The pilots of the warplane that dropped the bombs christened Enola Gay are still alive. This action fulfilled Albert Einstein's warning about misuse of the applicability of the equation E=mc2.

That Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombing during WWII was not an interesting event for me, unfortunately. Tragic, yes, but I'd rather give the interesting event award to the time Thomas Edison discovered electricity. Imagine our world today without his tireless efforts.

There were so many, I found that very often one historical event would lead to another even though they might be on opposite sides of the earth. I think every time I would learn about one or other event I would probably spend half an hour day dreaming about it.

I would have to say the founding of the Roman Empire. No other event has had as much influence on western history as the Roman Empire. From the engineering feats such roads and aquaducts, to their legal system, to the language, we are still to this day vastly influenced and indebted to the Roman Empire. I remember reading somewhere that more than half of the English language (and nearly all of our sceintific terms) comes from Roman words.

I didn't really get interested in history in school, I only gained an interest in it when I finished school. I think visiting the places that you read about can be a great way to build up the spark.

Well I think the most interesting event in history to me is the second World War. The war reshaped the world and global system it also changed the balance of power and brought about the end of imperialism in the world. I prefer to read from that date down ward to present.

I also love the Second World War and it is classified as one of the most interesting events to me nd also the rise of Africa is also a great History to look into and i hope you will also love it as well.

Yeah I have also looked into African rising and political history of Africa, I find it very interesting to and it is great to know that they are also people who love black history as I do.

I haven't read much but i started first by studying their military aspect and war in Africa and the one that go my interest so much was the war between Nigeria and a thirty months old state of Biafra. I am very sure you will like it and they are more books about it.

I'm from the country of Philippines, which is also called "pearl of the orient" because of its shape. We are also called Pearls of the orient because we are rich in natural beauties, we were a precious source of spices and other resources and trade goods too. And we were colonized by the Spanish for 330 years. And I think one of the major historical events in my country is when Lapu-Lapu(native chieftain of Mactan Island) fought the Spanish trying to invade the country, and it is called the Battle of Mactan was fought in the Philippines on 27 April 1521, prior to Spanish colonization and defeated Ferdinand Magellan.

Wow i didn't know the Philippines has such a great history, i hope to read more on it, thanks.

I just finished updating a map in my room today I want to embark on a historical research on ten countries of the world and just discuss many things people will like to know.

Back