The Education Chat Network

Here you can discuss teaching, tutoring and all things educational.
Teaching? You can access lessons and resources made by teachers for teachers, provide tutoring services or classes online.
Studying? You can find an expert tutor to boost your grade, ask questions in the forum, attend online classes and much more.

All Ages Teaching History through Movies

Kakashi2020

EdChat™ Nomad
May 3, 2020
World History is one of my favorite subjects but there are times that I tend to forget the names and places. Then I began watching Movies which deals with history and I began to memorize all the relevamt names, places and sometimes even the dates.
There's a lot of entertaining Historical Movies that could help kids understand more about important historical facts and personalities. Just Google it and have your class watch it and give a quiz afterwards. It's fun and students won't be bored watching movies.

Astra Gray Herondale

EdChat™ Esquire
Dec 19, 2018
Hawaii
I agree! I think movies are a great way to teach young kids history. History books can be written in a way that's a bit too boring for children, especially when the passages are filled with foreign names and dates which they have to memorize for the exams. When I was young, I, too, hated reading our history textbook. But when I grew up, I realized that history tells us a lot of interesting stories and gives us a broader perspective of the world. With movies, children will be able to better understand history and perhaps the stories could make them more interested in studying history. We just have to make sure the movies are historically accurate.

Zeus20

EdChat™ Nomad
May 7, 2020
I am very agree to this, specially to some people like me who is always lazy when reading specially. But I already watched some movies that is about our history, and I really enjoyed it and I guess putting it on a movie makes it for us to understand it easier. Because it is hard for out mind to absorb when we are just reading specially when it is a long read.

Martinsx

EdChat™ Nomad
Apr 19, 2020
I find it very difficult to read much as a u go older, but you see movies, they have come to help me a lot when it comes to learning. Historical movies and adventure has been a part and parcel of my life because it has taught me so much on history that I possibly couldn't have learnt by reading books alone.

Ferdinand

Technical Support
Staff member
Admin
Sep 27, 2010
Sydney NSW, Australia
I find it very difficult to read much as a u go older, but you see movies, they have come to help me a lot when it comes to learning. Historical movies and adventure has been a part and parcel of my life because it has taught me so much on history that I possibly couldn't have learnt by reading books alone.
You should try the audible trial in our resources. Listening to audiobooks is a fantastic way to engage with reading.

I’m working on a short poetry book to go through the ages of history for Britain.

Reactions: Martinsx

Martinsx

EdChat™ Nomad
Apr 19, 2020
You should try the audible trial in our resources. Listening to audiobooks is a fantastic way to engage with reading.

I’m working on a short poetry book to go through the ages of history for Britain.
Thanks for the tip. I think it's what I should consider getting to incorporate with my studying because to read alone is quite a task for me. But I believe listening to audio might be way interesting and less straining for me.

Ferdinand

Technical Support
Staff member
Admin
Sep 27, 2010
Sydney NSW, Australia
Thanks for the tip. I think it's what I should consider getting to incorporate with my studying because to read alone is quite a task for me. But I believe listening to audio might be way interesting and less straining for me.
Sometimes the audio is read by the author or someone prominent to the story which also helps with visualisation activities.