The Education Chat Network

Here you can discuss teaching, tutoring and all things educational.
Teaching? You can access lessons and resources made by teachers for teachers, provide tutoring services or classes online.
Studying? You can find an expert tutor to boost your grade, ask questions in the forum, attend online classes and much more.

All Ages Is History Interesting To You?

dannyboy

EdChat™ Nomad
Jul 1, 2013
Do you find History to be an interesting subject? Is it a subject that you think you could really invest yourself in? Are there any historical events that have grabbed your attention and made you want to study them?

asaaaron

EdChat™ Nomad
Feb 11, 2014
I think history is very interesting. It's a series of seemingly unrelated events spread across the globe that all lead to this moment right now. Everything in history has somehow helped create the current moment. The present is only proof that the past happened. I think it's amazing.

CeliVega

EdChat™ Nomad
Feb 12, 2014
I think it's important to find a way that makes history interesting for children. When I was at school, I thought of history as boring and it is just one of the many subjects that I have to take. I try to memorize without taking interests in them and I believe that is why the results were not that good back then. Ironically, history becomes interesting once I am no longer required to learn about them. I started to realize that through history, you will found out exactly how everything is the way it is today, and how hard the historical figures fought hard for us. I believe that's what got me finally interested in history and it is important for teachers to try that on the students.

angelicagapit

EdChat™ Nomad
Feb 20, 2014
I find history extremely interesting, and somewhat important. You know the motto "You learn from your mistakes."

Throughout history, there's been a whole lot of mistakes, and learning about them can also help us improve how we act and to avoid any problems in the future.

History was also one of my favorite classes in high school because we also hear really good stories. And they're all true stories!

lindbergh

EdChat™ Esquire
Dec 13, 2012
I find history boring. When I read history in books or when the professor is discussing in front of class, it only takes me 5 minutes before I doze off into dreamland. If I'm watching something about history though, a documentary perhaps, that's the time when I become interested. Still, there are a lot of boring topics in history and the only topics that catch my interest are those that are in relation to war.

skywatcher

EdChat™ Nomad
Apr 11, 2014
This depends, actually. In college, because History isn't a major part in our curriculum, we tend to fast-forward different periods and eras, which means we don't get to discuss them a lot, as much as we have a lot of notes about them.

I think if we just took History a little bit more seriously - like, describing a little of their culture, actually relating things to what's happening today, and all that - I think it would've been more enjoyable.

I do have to admit, though, I'm really interested in History. It's just that, it depends on the kind of history and the kind of teaching strategy that makes me bored in the subject.

As to the event or the era, I'm particularly interested to the interconnected histories of Japan and China, especially during the Feudal Era. Aside from the fact that I've learned majority of my lessons from playing Dynasty Warriors and Samurai Warriors, I've always been fascinated with Feudal Japan and Historical China. There was a time that we've extensively studied these parts of history, and I was simply stunned.

TheJamal

EdChat™ Nomad
Apr 20, 2014
It depends on how good your teacher is. If your teacher just told you to go read ch. 1-3 and you'll be tested on it by Friday, then I can see how some would find the concept of History deplorable. I was lucky enough to have excellent history teachers throughout my education. My teachers would go into intense details of certain historical events and almost make it sound like a story than a class subject.

As for me, I've always been interested in History. When I was younger it was pretty much the only subject that I had any real interest for.

WestCoastXO

EdChat™ Nomad
Apr 20, 2014
I've always enjoyed learning history in school. The way it plays inside my head is like a story with characters, plots and settings. It really makes learning fun in ways that can't be accomplished, like science for example. However, to contradict myself, history is a part of everything, so it is relative to everything. Rather than learning pointless definitions most students are bound to forget, history might stick a little longer for those like me that really enjoy that part of learning.

DDavies

EdChat™ Nomad
Apr 19, 2014
History was one of my favorite classes throughout grade school, high school and even into college. I appreciate books that obviously were well-researched if they include any historical references. I think it's important that we learn what really happened, not a watered down (or censored) version. That serves no one.

Qazplmx

EdChat™ Nomad
Apr 25, 2014
Even if you do not actually find history too fun, or engaging, or interesting, it is still of paramount importance that you do learn it, especially so that catastrophic events such as the holocaust do not happen again. We need to know the past so we can learn for the present.

Morning Glory

EdChat™ Nomad
Apr 10, 2014
I agree that it really does depend on the teacher. I find history engaging when the teacher gets the class to do on-hands activity instead of just reading textbook or powerpoints. Examples could include role-play activities and group presentations. This way the students actually have to do additional research on their own since they want to find info that's engaging to the class while also delivering a meaningful and accurate presentation.

zararina

EdChat™ Esquire
Aug 13, 2011
Yes, I find History as an interesting subject.
Although sometimes my interest on this subject is decreased because of the teacher or the professor. There are some who makes it boring even there are lots of interesting parts to discuss. But if it is a lively class, it becomes more interesting to learn about History.

qyeasat

EdChat™ Nomad
Apr 28, 2014
History in grade school was one of my most dreaded subjects. Once I got into the upper grades in high school, I started to really get into it. I think the biggest problem is that we put too much of a focus on the memorization of dates and facts. While dates and facts are important, they aren't as important as historical skills such as analysis and reading and writing skills. The ability to read sources, effectively analyze them for information and importance, and to craft a well written and well researched essay at the end far outweighs the ability to mindlessly recite facts such as the start date for World War 1 or the battles of the American Civil War.

missbookworm

EdChat™ Nomad
Nov 23, 2015
Absolutely. If I didn't take a degree in English, I would have pursued a degree in History. I find History really vast, and very interesting. When I was younger, I didn't give much thought about the events that happened in the past. But when I have grown older, I became intrigued with everything that pertains to History, specially about the Holocaust.

tlspiegel

EdChat™ Nomad
Nov 22, 2015
When I was younger, I didn't give much thought about the events that happened in the past. But when I have grown older, I became intrigued with everything that pertains to History, specially about the Holocaust.
Same here. As an adult I became very interested in WWII and read everything I could about it and the Holocaust. I devoured books and was always surprised how so many people could have different views on the same subject. Even those people who experienced the tragedies, interpreted it in different ways.

When I watch a movie related to WWII and the Holocaust I 'know' some of it might not be totally accurate -- unless it's something that was filmed at the time. But, overall, we need to remember history. Now-a-days we have access to most any subject related to history and events that happened. Sometimes we have to take what we read and see with a grain of salt -- (view something with skepticism, or to not take it literally).

hello93

EdChat™ Nomad
Nov 23, 2015
When I was a kid I was really interested in the old Egypt and the greek culture.

In school I was reading a lot about Elizabeth the first, I was all over the story, keep doing assignents and everything, nowadays I am really interested in the history not long ago, the cold war and my parents's childhood, Maybe I can understand them easier this way.

remnant

EdChat™ Esquire
Feb 27, 2016
My infatuation with history started in primary school. I was an ardent reader of history books. The knowledge I acquired is largely intact. I was particularly interested in ancient history like accounts on Assur Banipal king of Assyria and the Sumerians. When I went to secondary school, I picked commerce in lieu of history.

xTinx

EdChat™ Nomad
Nov 5, 2014
Asia
I'm all for history. Although the amount of information you have to memorize often gets in the way of your enjoyment, sitting in history classes, reading history books and novels and watching period dramas always induce a sense of excitement. I particularly love the Graeco-Roman, Medieval, Renaissance and Tokugawa eras. They're so colorful and reminds me of long-winded sagas. I'm less fond of WWI and WWII stories because they make me feel like the earth's a bleak place to live in.

GemmaRowlands

EdChat™ Nomad
Jul 29, 2013
I think history should be interesting to everyone, because it really teaches us important lessons about things that have happened in the past. It means that we are able to see what has gone wrong - or right of course - and change our future behaviour accordingly. There is no point in learning about these things if we don't do this. We as a race and a culture are a culmination of all of the history that came before us, and I think that it is very important indeed that we are able to understand this, as it means that we can learn from it and take those vital lessons right into the future with us.

SirJoe

EdChat™ Esquire
Nov 22, 2015
History is a wide subject and even though there might be parts of history that could be consider boring there are others that will be interesting. There are parts of history that come and go out of fashion, viking history is the hot subject right now.