Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

⚛ Latest posts ↓

Teachers in uniform

remnant

Legacy Member
In most school setups, teachers don't wear uniforms. This is expected of students and other cadres like cooks. I suppose an initiative to have teachers wear attire which rhymes with the corporate colours of schools would do alot to create a sense of belonging and harmony and destress the learning environment. Even if this is done for a few days, a little goes a long way. What do you think?

School masters used to wear robes however that practice is outdated in the UK. However in some of the most elite schools this does continue. However uniform other than team ties & jackets is outdated as well, it doesn't encourage unity but conformity.

Furthermore it stifles creativity via expression through clothes and is used as a way of ensuring children are dressed appropriately i.e. No mini skirts, jeans, track suits or onesies.

Uniform is used in prison to easily identify inmates. In school it is more used for safety, security & to prevent discrimination, favouritism and innappropriate wear. The children will identify with one another and the teacher through engaging exciting education where they all feel valued, involved and entertained.

Teachers don't need to wear uniform. They currently, wear identifiable "uniform". Students can easily identify them at school for sure. Moreover, education system doesn't really need to tag teacher for any purpose.

I have never seen a teacher wear a school uniform and I am not too sure if it would work well. I think that teachers should follow a code of dress but not necessarily a uniform.

I am not sure what the dress codes were at the schools that I attended, but I know that appearance certainly matters, especially for young, impressionable kids. I cannot remember any of my teachers wearing suits, but if they did, I bet you I would have been very careful around them and probably done very well in the class, so that might tell you something. I also really cannot remember anyone dressing outlandishly or anything, teacher wise at least, so that is good. I am not sure you need uniforms, and a pretty strict dress code is certainly warranted in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Me too, I can't remember any distinguishly dressing for teacher. As long as they are "not so casual", show respectable and neat dress, polite and patient, it's the most important things. It would be hard to imagine a teacher dressing like Lady Gaga or someone else!

Why should students be required to wear uniforms while teachers are exempted?

That doesn't make much sense to me. It's like telling the students "Do as I say, not do as I do", which is, in my opinion, not exactly the best way to teach. The recommended way to teach is to teach by example. So, if the students are expected to wear uniforms, the teachers should set the example by doing so themselves.

The school where I taught had shirts that teachers was supposed to wear to sport events and other events representing the school. This worked very well to identify teachers as well as representing the school professionally.

My opinion is that uniforms are not for teachers or God forbid students. In Serbia pupils do not have any kind of uniforms, instead we have a simple dress code and it is basically the same for students and teachers. I really think that it is more wrong that students wear these than teachers. Uniforms are for people on work and it should be for those jobs that require some sort of standards in hygiene like nurses, cleaning stiff, cooks, etc.. I think it looks dull and it is very bad for creativity of young people. It looks so straight forward like they are in prison or some kind of camp. We should use our heads more and let our children use it too. Creativity in dressing is a way to express and limiting this to a uniform is very bad if you ask me.

While I think it's all very well saying that teachers should lead by example and therefore also be expected to wear uniforms, at the same time there as to be a divide behind who's actually in charge and both students and teachers wearing a uniform will blur those lines for me to be honest. A uniform for students is one thing, but to turn around and tell the teachers that they also have to turn up in uniform as well will make discipline a lot harder, as the students won't see a teacher as being the one in charge.

True. Uniform is also made for hygien and identification in case they are missing or accident happen. You can't put uniform to teacher to make it fair: Teachers and students are not on the same level of understanding and authority. You should make it clear who is the apprenctice and who is the learner. I never permit my sons to consider me as their friend. I'm the father and have authority to teach them life. In no way they're gonna teach me what I teach them. Teachers teach discipline, which is very rare nowadays.

The school where I taught had shirts that teachers was supposed to wear to sport events and other events representing the school. This worked very well to identify teachers as well as representing the school professionally.
In a sports event it's different, it creates solidarity and support for the students that are taking part in the school events. In the class room it's won't have the same positive effect.

I personally think the fact of encouraging teachers to use uniform during their class hours would make them look more professional and also the institution would look more classy and also more professional, would be a great thing to apply in most schools from all around the world, however, it would be a difficult thing to get done in public schools, but nothing is impossible.

Teachers don't have to be told what to wear though in my opinion to make them look more classy as you put it though. Obviously teachers aren't going to be going into the teaching environment dressed in short skirts and high heels, the men in shorts and vests, they will know that they will have to dress professionally and appropriately without being told hat to wear.

If they can't decide or don't know what they should be wearing, or don't have that sense of what a professional person needs to wear to command authority, it might sound harsh but they maybe shouldn't be a teacher in the first place as I think for most people that's just a matter of common sense.

Teachers don't have to be told what to wear though in my opinion to make them look more classy as you put it though. Obviously teachers aren't going to be going into the teaching environment dressed in short skirts and high heels, the men in shorts and vests, they will know that they will have to dress professionally and appropriately without being told hat to wear.

If they can't decide or don't know what they should be wearing, or don't have that sense of what a professional person needs to wear to command authority, it might sound harsh but they maybe shouldn't be a teacher in the first place as I think for most people that's just a matter of common sense.

Well, I do not really think they were talking about that kind of dress style for teachers, just a normal uniform, it could be a single colored Polo shirt and jeans, that could be a good uniform for a teacher, it definitely would look good and would absolutely suit the context.

Back