Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

⚛ Latest posts ↓

There's a First Time for Everything

Karen Ellyn Dollaga

Legacy Member
According to Jolene Perry, Every experience is a once in a lifetime experience, because no matter how hard we try, nothing's ever exactly the same as it was the first time.

Our life is a roller coaster, we all face first time experiences on different levels. We have the highs and the lows. Let us face our first-time moments with an empty cup so that we can fill it with every possibility.

Your first-time experience is the only key to open the Pandora box of hope.

What is your first-time teaching moment?

My first time teaching came as sort of a surprise to be quite honest. I didn't realize I was in fact a teacher until after the fact.

Let me explain...

I grew up in Canada, a nation quite well known for its open boarders, welcoming attitude to new immigrants, and celebration of diversity. I also attended Catholic schools, and although I am no longer a practicing Catholic, I appreciated the charitable aspect the Catholic school system displayed in welcoming children of refugees from other nations, children who often spoke little or no English.

I've never been prejudiced or judgmental and I was always curious about these new kids from foreign lands. This enabled me to bridge language barriers and befriend many of these guys while many of my classmates spurned them outright. I liked to "trade" words and sayings, it interested me and it was fun. I also liked going to their houses and meeting their families, and lets not forget about the food! I tried so many new delicious foods, and I was always welcomed warmly.

Anyway, I suppose the teacher tasked with providing the ESL classes that these kids attended when the rest of us were doing elective classes such as music or art, noticed my affinity for these kids and one day she asked me if I would help her with the ESL students. The next thing you know I'm doing workbook lessons, practicing pronunciation, helping with reading and writing to a couple of guys who were up until then just my pals. Now I was their teacher too. I continued to assist ESL classes at that school for three years.

Honestly though, I didn't even think twice about it. In my mind I was not a teacher, just a helping friend, but years later, going over life experiences, thinking over my C.V. it occurred to me... I am a teacher, like it or not.

Lol. I like it. I now teach ESL to kids online, something I never would have imagined doing if but for that teacher recruiting me to volunteer.

Some would be surprised, but teaching your own kids is tutoring as well. We all encounter a situation identical to that once in a while.

I agree with the perception that nothing would go exactly the same as it is the first time. What we can do is to improve everyday and be hardworking. You might be disappointed sometimes, but, you must not beat yourself up because of it.

Some would be surprised, but teaching your own kids is tutoring as well. We all encounter a situation identical to that once in a while.
My wife and I home-schooled our daughter from the time she would have been in grade 3 until she was high-school age. I was a little unsure of my ability at first bt in Canada, where we lived at the time, there are ample free resources for parents wishing to home school. Everything is laid out for you, curriculum and class plans done and very easy to follow. Of course we supplemented the material with plenty of extra studies, took trips out into the community to visit public institutions like the museum, go to the beach to collect marine life, the forest... we would visit various experts in the community as well, one day we went to a bakery and talked with the bakers and helped them make bread, a tour to a local elder-care hospice was fun not only to see the workings of elder-care but we had some lovely conversations with seniors staying there, and heard from their wealth of lived experience.

We teamed up with the parents of 3 other kids who wished to be home schooled and shared the teaching duties among ourselves so there was never an overwhelming work load and we made an improvised classroom in the basement of one of our teacher-parents' home... It is surprising how easily it all came together.

The decision to home school came about as a reaction to our child being bullied at school and not feeling "engaged" with her studies. She brightened up almost immediately with the new set up, but by high school age we mutually decided that traditional public school would be best in terms of both standard of education and social aspects. She performed at very high levels an honor student every year and now she's attending university and doing great. She really gained a degree of self-motivation and has a real appreciation and thirst for learning. Sometimes you never know just what you are capable of until you take a chance and try something new!

We shouldn't let the fact that you haven't done something stop you from doing that thing even though something hasn't happened before doesn't mean it can't happen.

My first time teaching experience was for a class of seminarians ( I am not joking) . Their regular teacher had met with an accident and I was called in to help with spoken English. I was around the same age as these boys and they thought they could bully me as I was fresh out of college. English is a second language here and it was easy for me handle these young men. I would watch the ones who distracted the others closely, identify their leader and then get him on to the front of the class to have a chat with me in English. Within a couple of days I had their complete attentions and respect and by the end of the year all the young men passed with good grades. I was asked to be their teacher their following year too.

Your story has a good ending .I hope you taught them the following year.It is good when you are called to step in for another person and then end up impressing the stakeholders.The boys made you proud.