Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

Struggling PhD's Wife + Mom of 3 (Need Advice)

Emily Condis

⚛ Esquire 🎩
We're navigating life with a 4-year-old, a 2-year-old, and a 9-month-old, and I'm managing the home front as a stay-at-home mom. School or preschool isn't part of our plan or budget right now. My husband's out the door before dawn, returning at 6 pm to help with bedtime and then dives into his studies until late. Meanwhile, I'm left feeling drained, just grateful to have made it through another day wrangling three little ones solo.

Time for myself? It's a distant memory. And my husband? He's hardly getting much downtime either. Yet, I'm here, feeling like a hollow shell. Our current living situation doesn't help—sweltering summers, bugs constantly invading our space, and a crumbling rental we can't afford to upgrade. While my husband enjoys the flexibility of his routine, engaging with adults daily, I'm tethered to our baby, overwhelmed by the chaos of our household, and starved for adult interaction.

I wouldn't dream of asking my husband to give up his PhD pursuit. It's his passion, his path to a better future for us. So here I am, venting to strangers online, seeking solace and advice. How do I make it through the next four years? Maybe when our oldest starts kindergarten next year, things will ease up a bit. But for now, I'm stuck in a place I despise, battling constant discomfort, trying to cling to a positive outlook that slips away all too quickly.

If you've been in my shoes, how did you stay positive and keep going?

Back