Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

⚛ Latest posts ↓

Senior Citizens, are they left on the side?

Pocs

Legacy Member
While driving in my car I came to a intersection that had many people waiting to cross. On the right I was drawn to a elderly lady with a cane. There were construction barriers placed around the ramp part of the sidewalk stopping pedestrians from crossing there. Which meant you had to step down off the curb. The light turned and all the street crossers went on their way. Except for the elderly lady, who couldn't make the step down alone. I watched as several people who could have helped just avoid her. A woman from the other side of the street, I assume who was also watching, came running across the street to help the elderly lady. Of course the light changed colors while they were midway through the crosswalk. Cars blew their horns and people yelled out the windows. With the help of a total stranger the elderly lady made it safely across. What is wrong with people today? Don't they realize that was someone's mother, grandmother or wife. Had I been on the street I wouldn't have thought twice about helping her. Am I one of a few who sees we need to help or even support our senior citizens, after all won't we all be standing on the street waiting for the light to change ourselves?

I feel the same way. I've seen something similar on buses and subway cars in the city I live. People today don't have the same courtesy as when I was taught by my parents. I'm a generation X kid and at least I still have a sense of manners and respect for my elders but these people today are something else. I remember I was on a subway car and all the seats were full. I myself and I've witnessed other women, get up out their seat to accommodate a senior citizen. Do people not realize they too will be old one day? What happened to respecting your elders and common decency?

I agree, some of the social manners of people today are downright rude. The days of respecting our elders as they should be seems to be dwindling over time, but like myself and the person above, there are those of us that still hold the ethical morals of our fathers. Politeness will always take you a long way.

I think the problem with older people is really the Conservative party. Example: you can watch FOX NEWS or look at the roster of the Republican party. And see all of these elderly old men spouting off hateful garbage against minorities, women, and the like. And then it kind of makes you feel anger towards older people. That they're holding back the country socially. But then, you see your loving grandma or grampa and listen to the life wisdom they give you about certain things. And how they are always willing to give you a hug when they see you. So I think in the end, younger people are conflicted on older Americans because so many mixed messages are sent about them.

Speaking as someone from my own generation, I think the people in the generation before me treat their elders worse than we do. I see it with people my age all the time, we get along well with the elderly. It's the people in the generation above us who always exclude elders from everything, in my opinion. My mother would not let me hang out with my friends who were older than me while I was a kid. Going through high school, my closest friend was about fifty years older than me.

It does seem to be getting worse. I remember several years ago being on a subway in Boston. An elderly woman with a cane got on the train and the seats were filled. I was seated as well. I watched for a few moments, giving the men and younger people a chance to notice her and offer their seat. Nothing. No one. I offered her my seat. She thanked me, telling me how nice I was. I told her (and loud enough for those around me to hear) that it was such a shame that people's mothers didn't teach them any manners. I have used variations of this sentence several times. Most people look embarrassed. Probably because they WERE taught better.

Even if you cannot bring yourself to respect your elders, it takes nothing to acknowledge that they may need help with some situations, and offer that respect. Put yourself in their shoes. If you needed help, wouldn't you be glad if someone offered it? Wouldn't it make your day just that little bit brighter? Think of that the next time you see anyone - not just an elderly person - who could use some help. I promise you, you'll feel better for it too.

I believe the nuclear family has something to do with this trend of apathy towards the senior citizens. I grew up in an extended family where I spent as much time with my own parents as with my grandparents. My own children also grew up in a extended family. So I was brought up with a good feeling towards senior citizens.

However in nuclear families, where the grandparents are people the children meet only once or twice a year, if at all, then there simply isn't any chance for the younger generation to interact with the much older generation. On top of that, the emphasis in the advertising media is on the now and here. The focus is on the self. Small wonder that there is little feeling for others.

Even though I grew up with two different cultures - my dad's family are Scots/Irish/NA from Appalachian KY and mom's family are Portuguese and immigrated after her marriage to my dad - both cultures are extended family oriented. I grew up in KY with my grandparents living two doors down and my uncle and his family nearby. When I would stay in Boston with my mom's family, they owned a 3-family house with my aunt, husband, daughter and great-aunt on one floor, her cousin and his family on the next, and my grandparents on the third floor.

It really is a shame how society treats the elderly these day. I am glad that I've instilled in my daughters the compassion to help the elderly when they need it. The first time my oldest daughter asked an older woman behind us in the checkout line of a grocery store if she needed help putting her groceries on the conveyor belt, I swelled up with pride. Then she and my youngest offered to help her take the bags in her car. The woman was so touched, and I'll never forget what she told my girls. After thanking them, she said, "I don't run across too many young people nowadays willing to help out an old lady like me. Let me tell ya, girls...getting old is a bitch." OMG! We all laughed hysterically. That lady was a hoot!

Even though I grew up with two different cultures - my dad's family are Scots/Irish/NA from Appalachian KY and mom's family are Portuguese and immigrated after her marriage to my dad - both cultures are extended family oriented. I grew up in KY with my grandparents living two doors down and my uncle and his family nearby. When I would stay in Boston with my mom's family, they owned a 3-family house with my aunt, husband, daughter and great-aunt on one floor, her cousin and his family on the next, and my grandparents on the third floor.

That sounds good. I hope you will be carrying on this tradition with your own family and your children's families.

Myself, I am afraid, I have failed in maintaining the extended family environment. My children are scattered all over the place. Still, I have not given up hope yet. I am still working towards making a house in the countryside where everyone can get back together again. With the internet and working online, I believe it's possible to live as an extended family in the countryside and yet be able to make a good living and have a good life at the same time.

Back