Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

⚛ Latest posts ↓

No one showed up to my conference presentation

Maria Duke

⚛ Esquire 🎩
I had high hopes for presenting my research at the symposium connected to a grant I received. I put considerable effort into crafting a presentation that showcased innovative practices, hoping to demonstrate the value of my department's contributions across disciplines. Despite my anticipation, only the moderator and a friend attended, and they could only stay for the last few minutes. What stung me the most was the absence of anyone from my department, not even a message expressing regret for missing it. I've always been a vocal advocate for my colleagues, attending their events and arranging childcare. Yet, the lack of support for my presentation has left me reevaluating the collegial atmosphere I once cherished. It's disheartening to realize the discrepancy between the support I offer and what I receive in return. I'll need to reconsider the extent of my investment in my colleagues' endeavors, as dedicating time and resources to promote their work feels increasingly unreciprocated. Thanks for letting me vent.

I am sorry to hear this Maria. Unfortunately I am hearing this more and more from academic colleagues. There are some areas where research can be sensationalised. Popular fields include diet, nutrition and exercise.

I am not sure of other disciplines however am very familiar with promoting things to small audiences. Perhaps look at an event that has multiple speakers where you can present your work as a Pecha Kucha style. Medical symposiums are good for this.