Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

⚛ Latest posts ↓

Are Workshops Well Attended?

Waynefire

Legacy Member
I used to be a training officer for my fire department where the employees are required to have a certain amount of training. However, they were never really attended that well unless the person needed the training hours of overtime. So I have to ask how well attended are the volunteer workshops which you see so many places advertising all the time?

I think it more or less depends on what theme the workshop is and the type of people are in the area. If you're in a very artsy neighborhood and you have a workshop related to drama, art, or music, then you're bound to have a well volunteered workshop. However, if in the same neighborhood, and it's a workshop related to Acceptance Essays, Science Projects, or Construction, then you may not get as many people as you would have hoped for.

When I worked we also had the problem with attendance. My employer started a program to give 4.5 hours of PTO time for attending. No matter the length of the workshop you received 4.5 hours. Attendance definatly picked up, but still there were those that didn't want to be bothered.

Workshops that are for artistic gain are more personal growth and people usually have to pay for them, so when you pay you attend. However, I have been to a few that were free. They would be supplied upon interested, which meant they needed enough participation to hold it. Lots of people would sign up, but most would not show and the shop was cancelled. People have no respect for others, if they don't plan to attend they shouldn't show up.

Most of the workshops I've attended seem to be pretty well filled; I guess the attendance depends on the type of workshop it is. You'll generally find more attendance at paid workshops, as people then have money invested, so they're more likely to go. Free workshops can still provide valuable information, I don't know why you wouldn't attend one if it would improve your skills in your work area.

I did security guard training a few years back. Completed and graduated the course. When I was there, it was pretty full up. But mostly because the economy was bad and people needed jobs. So anything would do. Most of the folks there had no interest in being security guards in the long term, but figured the training would land them a job where they could make enough money to stay afloat until something better came along. I also got my fireguard license while there as well. These days, I'm pretty sure workshops are most full considering the economy and jobs situation has gotten worse.

I like workshops, they provide you with something that more formal courses don't and that is more liberties, thus you have to take more responsibilities on what you learn.

It really depends. I wouldn't imagine a firefighter one being well attended, but there are lots of others that people love. I've attended free workshops before when they're ones that interest me.

If people have a desire for self-improvement and they have the time (when you aren't getting paid to attend; you need to be able to afford the free time) then they might attend a workshop.

I love learning. So I love workshops. But I don't have the money to spend my very limited free time at a workshop unless I am desperately interested in the topic.

As with everything advertising is key. If you advertise in the right circles you can attract attendees!

Back