Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

All Ages What sports are taught in your PE subjects?

lindbergh

Legacy Member
When we think of PE, we think about sports. Yes, there are exercises and dancing, but the main focus seems to be in playing sports. What sports were taught in your PE subjects? Here's mine:

High School:
-Basketball
-Volleyball
-Soccer

College
-Chess
-Karate
-Table Tennis
-Basketball
-Volleyball

I hear that in other schools, they even offer swimming, bowling, and billiards.

In my college they offered many a sport like Badminton,Football,Cricket and Basket ball.Apart from that,we had many indoor games including snooker and Table tennis.My school didn't have anything big apart from a basketball court and a badminton court.

During high school, we have:

• Volleyball
  • Basketball
  • Swimming
  • Dancing
  • Badminton
During college, we have:

• Volleyball
  • Basketball
  • Table Tennis
  • Dancing
  • Swimming
That's about it. Some other colleges offer football and some local sports. I wish mine did as well.

As far as I remember in my college days, they taught us about badminton, basketball & arnis as well :)

In the high school I went to, there really wasn't that much of a choice. We had football, cricket and athletics and as far as I can remember, that was about it.

The trouble is, if you weren't particularly any good at any of them, you pretty much got left to your own devices for an hour and forgotten about.

Yah so true! good thing for those with gadget but when in my times, I don't own any of those valuable gadgets. :)
I'm just an honest one :)

PE was a bit of a joke in our school to be honest and on the days you had PE, if you wasn't any good at any of the activities then people actually did used to bring in their Gameboys (as it was in those days) because they knew they'd often just be sitting around.

Last edited:
In primary school we were taught movement and aerobics and football as well as racing which was very exciting. Teachers were heavily involved in supervision and this provided an opportunity for teacher-pupil interaction. In secondary school, things were more disengaged. I naturally gravitated towards volleyball which was my favourite game in primary school. At college level, all kinds of games were taught but this time in tightly knit and organized teams.

PE classes are focused more and more on team activities, and while there's nothing wrong with that, I do think the children that are more suited to individual activities are being left out.

PE helping children work together as a team is important, but what's equally important I think is children being able to achieve merits for their own individual achievements also.

In high school, I was pretty lucky to have an expansive curriculum. I was able to experience weight lifting, soccer, lacrosse, field hockey, football (which I'm terrible at), tennis, badminton, volleyball, softball, kickball, and rock climbing. We also had cardio days where we did sprints and kickboxing. Oh, and we also a pool.

In college, the amount of available sports was still pretty impressive, though we didn't have a pool. I went to a community college that pandered to exercise physiology (my first degree) and the police academy. I was able to take weight training, basketball, track, field hockey, soccer, volleyball, tennis, and baseball. When I transferred to a university (that I hated and left for a Japanese vocational school), my major was dance. I rarely saw any other sport, though the university offered the basics: football, soccer, track and softball.

Throughout my schooling years, I've been taught about a lot of sports like badminton, volleyball, basketball, hockey and handball. But one sport that I get to play most of the time was definitely soccer. It's because it's just easier for the teacher to just give a ball to the student and play with it. It's easy for the teacher and the students also love it, so it's a win-win situation.

Sports are not highly valuated in my college and therefore, not too many people are interested on practicing any of them, however, there are a considerable amount of students who like attending to the soccer, basket ball and chess classes, we also have ping pong areas and that's a really good place to meet up and play some ping pong.

Besides basketball, I wouldn't consider what they taught us to be sports. We had this one game that everyone loves, and it was called crab soccer. Every player had to walk on all fours, but do it while their chest is facing the roof, and not the opposite.

It was really fun, we had this giant ball that weights like 50 pounds and we had to kick it over each other, we played it through ut the year, and it was never tiring but none the less a work out.

Other than that we just played what we wanted.

Back