Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

All Ages What is the easiest instrument kids can learn to play?

Acube

Legacy Member
I have a lot of friends and a great portion of them are kids, they also like learning new things. I would like to introduce them to an instrument and get them started. I myself used to play the drums but lost that gift and drums are not so cheap either. What would be the easiest instrument for them to learn on?A age group ranging from 5-16 years old.

It still boils down the the preference of the child. For me, a piano would be easy to start with. The keys are already laid in front and a bit of training will help the child learn quickly. Interest on certain sounds an instrument make will also determine which is easier. A child's interest will make harder instruments seem easier if the child likes to hear or play it.

They teach the recorder at my child's school. I am not sure I think it's the best choice but it is low cost and seemed relatively easy for most of the kids to learn.
Another option might be piano but start out with an electric keyboard.

As Radix24 has mentioned, it truly depends on the child. Sometimes one instrument works wonders on one child, but not the best for another. I would ask them what instrument they find interesting and see what they all have in common and start them with that. Music always starts with curiosity and passion; never by force. However, if you are in need to start them with something, I would recommend a Recorder or Flutaphone. But I would also teach them to sing using solfeige-related hand signs. (If you don't know them, it's really easy to learn.) It will provide a visual basis for the sounds that they are hearing.

Good luck to you and have fun!

I think the easiest instrument to play is either the piano, or the recorder/flute. However, it still depends on the student, whether he/she is interested in learning how to play these instruments. If you don't have the passion for it, then it would still be pretty difficult for you to master it. There should be willingness, and patience within the person first.

It really does depend on the child. One child might find the piano easier to play while the other prefer the recorder or even guitar. So maybe you would want to test your child out with each instrument before deciding on which to buy.

When I was in first grade, the musical instrument assigned to me was the triangle. I loved the sounds it made when I struck it with the metal beater bar. It vibrated and made a high pitched noise. Yes, I know it's the subject of jokes because of the simplicity of the instrument. But as a six year old, it was just plain fun for me. I started taking piano lessons when I was four years old. My Mom played and we had a piano in the house. I started taking classical piano lessons and continued until I was 18 and went away to college. In case you don't know what a triangle looks like here is a picture. :joyful:

triangle.jpg

I think the piano is wonderfully simple, because although there are beautifully intricate pieces that you are able to learn, you are also able to play a tune with just a few notes, so even from your first lesson you should find that you can make a nice sound. Also, the sound of a beginner piano is nicer to listen to than a beginner violin or trumpet player - as the technique from the start is a little easier to produce a nice sound from.

Young children can easily learn how to play a piano. I have seen young girls play piano in my church. They can also be taught to play a guitar. What you need to do is to buy for them any instrument they may like and they can learn by themselves. It also easy to teach a child on how to play a trumpet.

I have a lot of friends and a great portion of them are kids, they also like learning new things. I would like to introduce them to an instrument and get them started. I myself used to play the drums but lost that gift and drums are not so cheap either. What would be the easiest instrument for them to learn on?A age group ranging from 5-16 years old.
Piano is one of the best options for the kids in that age. Also, guitar can be learn as well. I have a relative whose kid plays great guitar at the age of 12. Its like they can play almost any popular tune which you ask them to. It also depends on the amount of practice, but definitely the above 2 instruments can be learned.

a piano would be easy to start with.

Totally agree with you Radix24. The important thing being that the process of playing the notes is not complicated or requires an advanced level of manual dexterity and/or coordination. Playing the instrument needs to be the as easy as possible to make it accessible.

An instrument like the xylophone can also be of interest at this stage.

I would have to agree with what the others said that it really depends on the interest of the child. In my case though, the first instrument that my child has tried to play with was the xylophone. I think I introduced the instrument to him at around 2 years of age.

Yeah I think that it does matter what the child is interested in, because that really determines the motivation and that determines the effort, and the more effort you put in the easier it gets and the better you become. I would say that the piano is probably a good place to start, at least that is what I have been raised to believe. I think that any instrument is good for a child though, and introducing it early is always a good idea. Thanks for sharing.

I suppose the simpler the instrument the kid can access, the easier it is to learn to play it. To this end, percussion instruments are the easiest to play. This brings me to drums, marachas and the like. From here, they can graduate to more complex instruments after learning how to synchronise beats.

Piano should be the msot appropriate for kids who are starting in the music world, then they could switch to another or get dedicated to playing the piano and enhance their skills with it, of course.

This is a difficult question to answer because every child is different. Some may have an easier time with the chordal, theoretical aspects of the piano while others may be more interested in developing an embouchure and playing a brass instrument or woodwind. Given that piano and guitar are chordal instruments and wind instruments are single-line (only playing one-note at a time) makes a big difference. Some kids really gravitate to playing chords and others do not. Some kids are going to enjoy playing the saxophone but others might prefer trombone. The possibilities are endless. One thing I do know, though, is that the two instruments with the biggest learning curves are the oboe and the trumpet. So, those two can be the most frustrating for students initially, especially if they are not taught properly. However, there is no one single "best" instrument for every child.

In my opinion, guitar is the most easiest instrument to find and it's quite inexpensive. When I was a kid, I learn how to play the guitar even if I don't own one. However, it depends on the interest of the child as well. It will be easier for them to play any instruments as long as they like it and they're interested in learning it.

A triangle is good start for a child to learn rhythm. As music is all about rhythms they may start with understanding rhythm. Later on tam-tam or other percussion instruments like piano can gradually be introduced.

Another great idea would be introducing three instruments in a group of children and note which child likes which instrument the best. That way children can develop interest in various instruments while also excelling in one.

Thе еаsiеst instrumеnt fоr а сhild tо lеаrn is thе оnе whiсh grаbs thеir intеrеst thе mоst. Mоtivаtiоn соunts fоr аbоut 75% оf lеаrning.
If thе studеnt is highly mоtivаtеd аbоut аll instrumеnts, I wоuld rесоmmеnd:
1. singing & сlаpping
2. xylоphоnе
3. rесоrdеr
4. piаnо
5. guitаr
6. оrсhеstrаl instrumеnts

I wоuld gо with xylоphоnе оr whistlе (i.е. tin whistlе, pеnnywhistlе), whiсh is similаr tо rесоrdеr but еvеn еаsiеr tо plаy. еithеr will intrоduсе thе dеlight оf mаking musiс instаntly withоut аny tесhniсаl diffiсulty еvеn fоr littlе fingеrs; thе fоrmеr саn еvеn bе usеd tо intrоduсе сhоrds. I wоuld stаrt with оnе оf thеsе аnd mоvе оn tо piаnо (оr mаybе ukеlеlе) whеn thе сhild is rеаdy.

Back