Watching and eating at the same time?

Discussion in 'Health and Relationships' started by lindbergh, May 20, 2014.

1. dullian

dullian EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    No set rules in my family. We used to gather together to eat when we were more people, but it never was compulsory to sit down at the dinner table. I think it's better to eat together, it should be a special time for bonding and sharing. TV and other devices are a distraction for that special time.

2. sarahb

sarahb EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    We usually sit and eat at the table but it's for logistics and comfort (and mess reduction!) than any specific set rules.

Often after we've eaten we'll migrate into the other room to watch TV but our meal times are usually an opportunity to catch up about what's happened during the course of the day.

3. kevin

kevin EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Wow this is the first time am hearing people are not allowed to watch tv when eating in my house we do everything all at once watching eating dancing talking all at the same time and that really makes us enjoy our food more so i think the no watching when eating is weird and wrong when you are not in a military regime like seriously i hope this helped.

4. chinita1208

chinita1208 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I think watching tv while eating is not a problem, you and your family can have a discussion while doing those stuff.. And it could be a start of another topic, talking about what happened or thinking what’s going to happen with the series you are watching while eating .

5. junrose123

junrose123 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I think eating while watching is very popular and common in my country as most of the time we do it especially when we are some movies. I think it is one of my favorite thing to do whenever I am at home and wanting to feel relaxed since I feel comfortable about it.

6. monik

monik EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    It might be fun watching television while eating, but research has found that this might lead to excess weight gain.Eating meals in front of the TV can distract people and they are tended to eat more at the meal.Savoring your food and paying more attention to what you eat can help you keep you from overeating.You can have some nice chit-chat with your family at the meal, instead of watching television.

7. Klint

Klint EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    In my family, we don’t mind watching TV while eating. If we have something important to tell one another, we simply lower down the volume and listen to what he/she has to say. We have been doing this practice for quite a long time already. It’s great really especially if the news is on, that way we don’t have to skip watching it for the sake of eating.

8. dzonyfox2

dzonyfox2 EdChat™ B.Ed 2.1

EdChat Karma:
    In my family, it is completely normal to just sit in front of TV and to eat. It doesn't matter if it is breakfast, launch or dinner. Mom gets a bit annoyed because of this, but nothing special. She always says: "Why can't we launch like a normal family once?" But we all beside her consider eating and watching TV or computer as something completely normal.

9. healthyfit07

healthyfit07 EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Eating in front of the television is common these days, as is checking phones, watching laptops and other screens. If you and your family included screentime in your mealtime, here are some side effects of watching TV while eating -
    1. Distraction
    When eating food and watching TV, the brain is distracted and sends out the wrong signals to the body and does not process the taste or satisfaction of the palette.
    2. Causes Overeating and Obesity
    Distracted eating may add to weight gain. Eating while watching television leads to distracted or hurried eating can prompt you to eat more. Slowing down and savoring your food can help you control your intake.
    3. Indigestion
    Eating while watching TV and digestion are linked as you are unable to process how much and what you are eating. This, in turn, will lead to problems with digestion as your body is unable to properly digest the amount or the kind of food being eaten.
    4. No Family Interaction
    If everyone is more interested in watching TV while eating, the conversation that families usually enjoy during meals will not take place, and there will be even less time for family bonding in this busy time and age.

Remember that these days, our lives are very busy and sometimes mealtimes as a family is the only times that a family gets to really bond with each other and share how their days were. Keep mealtimes as family time and enjoy the meal that you have spent a lot of time preparing, but most of all, enjoy each other’s company.

10. readhel

readhel EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    In our Family, we eat without any distractions like TV, phones, and books. My father is conscious about our health. He want us to pay attention to what we are eating. We love eating together and have a little chat about our days and plans. It is a great way relieved stress.

11. Anna Liza Galang

Anna Liza Galang EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    In my home town, it's a belief that watching while eating is a bad thing. It will invite bad lucks. My parents told me that watching while eating is a bad habit. Eating should be a way to bond of every members of the family. This is the time to ask each of everyone how was their day and talk about things. Eating together can make the relationship of the family tight.

12. Calvin Gold 06

Calvin Gold 06 EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Eating together is the best thing to do as a family because it develops a bond and a connection between every family members.

13. uyanna9

uyanna9 EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    I think it is not good to eat and watch at the same time. One should focus on eating only.

14. Sneska

Sneska EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Watching and eating at the same time is definitely more fun but completely wrong. It is very important for a child to know when and where to have meals. By watching TV while eating, child's attention is focused on the screen and not on the plate or food before him. That way watching TV while eating increases chance of obesity with children due to excessive and uncontrolled intake of food.

15. Alania

Alania EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I do often watch and eat myself quite a lot, it's relaxing. However, what I cant do is eat and work at the same time.

16. Kd06

Kd06 EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    The only rule I have for eating in our family is finish everything that is on your plate with minimal spillage. I encourage eating while watching TV on my kids for I believe that by doing this they kind of forget that they are eating too much already or that the dish prepared are vegetables. :)

17. Dekaron

Dekaron EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Watching and eating at the same time? Sometimes we do actually eat while watching some movies in the house, specially pizza. But, I always see to it that meal time is family time. It's an important time to chat at communicate with members of our family while enjoying my wife's deliciously cooked meal. I want our meal time to be a quality time with my family since we are all out most of the day working

18. rose61

rose61 EdChat™ B.Ed 2.1

EdChat Karma:
    Me too.In my family,we watch television as we eat.In fact it is a habit. For instance, supper is always ready in time for evening news. We eat as we watch.

19. josechristy09

josechristy09 EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Watching should be separate from eating. Do things one at a time.

20. Andrijana15

Andrijana15 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I don't mind, as long as it's something that you can actually eat without making mess while watching tv.

Pizza, sandwiches, pouding, or something like that is okay. Since I don't have separated kitchen and living room, we can also eat everything else while watching tv, but sitting at the table is a must.

We believe a good thing should be shared