Should guys always pay for dates?

Discussion in 'Health and Relationships' started by lindbergh, Apr 30, 2014.

1. jessie271

jessie271 EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    It is what it should be. Men should be the one to pay as it can also show that you can take care of the girl and that you are able to take care of her. It also shows that you are a responsible man. But it also depends on the situation. If the girl insists to pay or the guy cannot pay for some acceptable reason, then that’s okay. For me, being a girl, I want the guy to pay because it has this feeling that he can take care of me. But there are times that I want to pay and I insist in paying. Actually, I pay for my dates sometimes.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1545324513][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Yeah, I agree with you. It’s a shame to let the girl pay if you are courting. But if you are already in a relationship and both of you are already very comfortable with each other, anyone can pay. I’m a girl and I don’t mind paying for dates or our get aways.

2. jpk0007

jpk0007 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Well, conventionally the guys are supposed to pay for the dates and not the girls.However, times have changed now and girls also earn money and they can afford to pay for a date sometimes. If a girl invites you for a date then there should be no problem if sometimes she pays the bill. I dont think this would be a big problem for the young generation of today. I would say that whoever feels like paying for the date must pay it and try to share the expenses as far as possible.

3. dullian

dullian EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I've never thought about it, since I've never had a date. But l agree that it's the man who's expected to pay if he's the one who proposed the date. However, I think there are activities a couple can enjoy for free and still have as much fun, like going to park, a public museum or just visiting a special place. Also, it would be fair if both parties decide to split the bill, so there's not that feeling of awkwardness.

4. Timothy John Obsena

Timothy John Obsena EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Only if the man has asked the woman on the date. If he has offered to take her out, to treat her, then it is considered polite to pay. Plus it seems kind of douche-y to ask a girl on a nice date and be sweet and kind, and the dump the tab on her. If it's an informal date, just to get to know each other, really, then they should pay for their own or split the tab.

But I personally think that when you and your partner are together for quite a long time, that's when men should not be expected to pay for everything.
    Gendered requirements in a relationship aren't good for either partner. Men should not be expected to drain their wallet for a chance at love anymore than a woman should be expected to grant him any "favors." If both partners decide they want to, that's fine, but it should not be a expectation.

5. Klint

Klint EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    For a relationship to work, I believe that both of them will have to take turns in paying the bill of their date. Men are not obligated to always pay for everything when they have a date with their woman. Women should also share the responsibility since they are advocating for gender equality.

6. Vinsanity

Vinsanity EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    I don't think this is the right thing to do here, the guy who pays for bills when on a date. It is either they each spend half of their expenses or take turns whenever they go out.

7. mcnasci24

mcnasci24 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    The one that invites should pay. If not, at least split tabs after several dates. In a relationship, it's only fair that the woman pays the tab of some dates.

Ferdinand likes this.
  8. Alania

Alania EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Sound kinda overly pragmatic and materialistic. Obviously it's your point of view (as to the one who invites), but if the sides aren't ignorant narcists then it's indeed only fair for both sides to pay for it. That's what I think personally. :)

Ferdinand likes this.
  9. kcxxwawe

kcxxwawe EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    With me and my current relationship, paying for dates comes entirely from our pockets. Actually, there are a lot of ways to attend to this issue. You can always take turns in paying for dates or you can split it. I think this solely depends on the kind of relationship you have because if the girl truly likes the guy, even if she pays the tab, it won't matter to her because what she wants is to spend time with him. But this is just based on my opinion because I think that the things that guys do for girls are also things that girls can do for guys. Like spoil them with gifts, take care of them when they're sick and stuff like that.

10. readhel

readhel EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    If the guy asked the girl out then it is him who should pay for the date. He invited the girl on a date so it is his responsibility to take care of her. It is important for men to pay for a date because it will send a clear message of his intentions. Well this is only when it's your first date or at the stage of courtship.

Paying for dates in a relationship is something partners should figure out, see what both works for you. Have a conversation about what are you comfortable with. Do what feels natural for the two of you.

11. ZEESHAN

ZEESHAN EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Guys do it as a courtesy and a matter of being a gentleman. I am not saying that women cant pay for themselves , but i think most guys do it because of respect , care and what they have been taught by their parents. Women have the right to help their opposite gender and i think it makes a relationship more stronger and trustworthy.

12. Anna Liza Galang

Anna Liza Galang EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    It depends on the couple. If the guy has a job then the guy should pay for the dates. It also for girls, if they are the one who is working then the girl should pay for the dates. If both of them are working it's okay to divide the bill to two. Commonly the guys are voluntarily paying the bills because it's not usual to make the girl pay for it.

13. monik

monik EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I consider that if a man is asking for a date, in that case he should pay the bill.This is a dating etiquette since ages.I think that how much is the bill doesn't play a big role in all of this, it is about the gesture.The woman can also pay the bill, but it is a noble gesture from the man's part, showing with it that he really likes her, and that she is important to him.

14. mhingnhormz

mhingnhormz EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Sjould guys always pay for dates: I think it depends of the situation if that date was for the both of you to know each other first then I think it is normal that guy really paid for the bills and if he is the one who invited the girl. But if your already in long relationship then it is okie for the girls to do insist to pay sometimes the bill or give a share to pay.

15. Maharlika

Maharlika EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Men should find a place he can afford, rather than asking his girl to split half. After all, when you arrived to settlement that's how you do it.
    If you're thinking about romantic dates, THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT.

16. Millyn

Millyn EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    For me both can actually pay for dates depending on the situation. It doesn't matter anyways. Women are also earning so we can also spend for couple thing like dates. Moreover, it doesn't make you any lesser as a man if you don't.

17. jannah

jannah EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    If you ask a girl out then the answer to the “who pays on a date?” question is a simple one. It’s you. When you invite a girl on a date it’s your responsibility to take care of her. So as a man you should always expect to pay for the date. After all you want her to be able to relax and enjoy her time with you. And that will be difficult if she’s worried about the money she’s spending.

Another reason it’s important for men to pay for a date is that it sends a clear message of your intentions. If you have a woman split the tab with you she may no longer see this as a “date”. She may instead get the message that the two of you are nothing more than friends. If you want to avoid her seeing you in that light then paying for the date will go a long way.

18. Don William Sese

Don William Sese EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    As a man, you should expect and be prepared to pay for everything on a date, but be willing to accept your partner paying her way if she prefers to.

Dating etiquette also insists that you do not make a big deal out of it. So if you go out to dinner, don’t stare at the bill when it arrives, just quickly & quietly give take care of the bill.Paying for the date is about responsibility. By doing the behavior I described above, you’re saying, “I am the man, it’s my responsibility.” On another level, paying for the date kind of means that you’re in control of the situation (not completely, but sort of), which is why some progressive women insist on paying their own way: because they don’t want to feel obligated to you.

In any case, be prepared to pay for everything on a date, and do not ask for anything in return for it. Also, for please don’t make a big deal out of it, or you undermine the whole value of the date in the first place.

19. GuestHu

GuestHu EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    It depends on the situation. If a guy requested the girl to date him then he is expected to pay the date. It is his responsibility to make his girl happy and satisfied. He chose to date with that girl then he must pay the price of dating her. But if a girl asked the guy to have a date with her then it would be her treat. Asking someone to date you and pay what you eat seems like you have no manner.

20. nrnlss

nrnlss EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    It depends on some factors, usually for first or second date and if the guy was the one who invited the girl, then it is the guy's obligation to pay for the date but usually once the relationship last, it is already fair that the girl pay sometimes or it is better if they split the expenses to be more fair.

We believe a good thing should be shared