Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

Should Financial Literacy Be Taught In High School?

Radix24

Legacy Member
I have graduated from University and now part of the workforce. Now, I am seeing that salaries really cannot fully cover one's needs especially if one has a family to take care of. This got me thinking, should Financial Literacy be taught in High School?

Think about it. A lot of young people easily spend their hard earned money on things they do not need. The latest gadgets and so on. Then they will find themselves scrambling for money. We need to really teach people what money really is. From the basics of inflation, to the investment vehicles. I myself am learning all of this now. It was a waste. I could have invested a long time ago. It would be a good idea to give young people the chance to earn money earlier in their lives.

Yes! I don't understand why it isn't. Education is supposed to enhance our knowledge and skills so we can be productive and informed citizens - however so many facets which are essential to modern life are ignored. I think there should be more attention paid to financial literacy/planning, banking, taxes.

That is what I think too. If school is supposed to prepare us for the real world, why is financial education not really integrated in the curriculum? Even a simple elective class will help the youth prepare for whatever reality will throw at them.

Yes, financial literacy should be taught, because finance is the only language that is spoken world-wide. If one is not fluent in it, then they cannot function properly in society. We teach our children a lot of things in school, things that they may, or may not, use on a daily basis once they hit adulthood, but money is something that they are going to have to deal with every day of their lives when they grow up. They should be professionally taught about money.

Absolutely! It would provide enormous benefits. I think a basic financial education should be taught starting in starting when kids are 12 or 13 and concepts introduced each year and built upon. The basics of budgeting should be the first introduced.

Parents have dropped the ball when it comes to teaching financial literacy. The schools job is to prepare students for the future. If you don't know how to manage money it does not matter how much you make. Students are encouraged to go to college get good grades and make a large salary , but no one tells them how to budget save or invest. Some don't even know that they should be doing these things. These are important skills that need to be taught.

I think financial literacy should be taught at an age when students can already exercise proper discernment. The reason why a lot of people end up lazing around when they reach adulthood is that they don't really know the value of money and think money and luxury are two sides of the same coin. Perhaps with the institution of a financial literacy course, students in high school would not be complacent after graduation and work to earn their keep in a decent manner.

Yes, financial literacy should be taught in high school. As a recent high school graduate and new adult, I find myself stumbling over the simplest of financial concepts. My parents taught me basic finances, but not enough to account for just how much I do not know. Now I find myself voraciously studying finance in addition to working regularly. I wish high school had a required financial literacy course, it would have saved me time and money.

That's what I believe as well. I think aside from teaching academic subjects in school such as Science, Math, and History, it's also very important for the youth to be educated about how the real world works, and that's where Financial Literacy enters. Not only financial matters should be taken into consideration, but also personality development, and environmental awareness.

Back