ⓘ The Age of Data

Ages 7-9 | KS2.i Riddle to Spell

Atomic Academic

🤖 AI
Verified
Activity Time
5 - 10 minutes
Steps:
  1. Decide what type of words the session will be focusing on. For example: Three letter words with an o in the middle like 'hot' and 'mop' or Words ending with her like 'feather' and 'together'.
  2. Choose one of the words that fits the focus (without telling the student) and provide 1-5 clues asking the learner to guess what it is. For instance, if you choose 'feather' you could use the following clues:
    I: Birds have them. II: When you drop them they fall slowly to the ground. III: Starts with the a word that means '
    an achievement that requires great courage, skill, or strength' (although its pronounced differently)... Feather

For the word 'h
    ot' you could use:
    I: When you sweat you're it. II: When the temperature is high it is... III: It is the opposite of cold.
  3. The student can either write the word when they guess it quietly or spell it aloud.

Want a more engaging challenge?
    Try to only reveal one clue at a time.

Extension: Use 3 actions as the clues for the word and see if you are able to guess and spell the words.
To expand this further when you have multiple learners playing this activity you can allow them to create their own clues and select their own words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Categorically great opportunity to catch attention. Easy instructions and physical strength is not essential. What I can suggest is to limit the clues to 3 to engage and deliberate entertaining activity in able to participant think eagerly to victory. With these 3 clues, you can include materials like white board and marker and or drawing pad and pen/colors to sketch one of the clues (e.g. sounds like, syllables etc.).

It's a nice game to enhance students' mental abilities and widen their vocabulary as well. It also helps them practice their critical thinking skills while at the same time enjoying. It is a fun way of learning indeed.

Guess My Word: A Vocabulary Game

What You Need:
  • Two players
  • Your child's vocabulary list.
*Feel free to think outside of the box, too. You don't need to limit yourself to lists of words from the language arts folder; you could use new words from your child's new math unit in measurement, such as volume, capacity, length, height, width, weight, and temperature. Oftentimes, teachers will provide vocabulary lists at the beginning or ending of units for the purpose of studying at home. Check with your child's teacher for a list of words your child is learning.
What You Do
  1. Start by explaining to your child that you will be playing a guessing game together. Let her know that you will be giving her three clues to try to guess which vocabulary word from the list you are describing. It may be helpful to have the list of vocabulary words available for your child to look at when playing the game. As your child begins to feel more comfortable with the vocabulary words, she can try to guess words without the list.
  2. Give your child three clues to describe the vocabulary word you have in mind. For example, when thinking of the word "weight," the first clue may be: "You use a scale to measure this word." Your next clue may be: "A pound is one unit of this type of measurement." The third clue may be: "Ounces is another unit of this type of measurement." If your child is unable to guess the word at this point, give her additional clues as needed.
Variation: For a fun twist on the "Guess My Word" game, switch roles. Let your child give you three clues to describe a word, as you try to guess. This strategy will allow for a deeper understanding of the vocabulary words, as your child will need to generate her own clues to describe the word. And kids will love getting to play the "teacher" by giving you clues.

Source: https://www.education.com/activity/article/guess_my_word_second/

Very interesting game, this is a good way to enchance mental ability and widen the vocabulary of students, this game is quite entertaining.

Back