Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

Quick and Not So Quick Sketches

nikema

Legacy Member
This is my first post and I hope I'm doing this right. I like to make digital sketches and paintings. It's fun and challenging to see how far I can progress with this medium. The images below are a few paintings of my children that I created on my tablet computer.

I have a habit of never really finishing anything. It's a pretty bad, but before I tackle that, I want to establish a habit of drawing or creating something daily.

scrap61677_j.pngscrap61676_e.png

Wow. These are absolutely stunning. Using the tablet, did you have some type of writing/drawing instrument? Did you use your fingers?

Hi, Taylor. Thanks for the compliment. I'm actually using an old-school tablet PC. It's about 7 years old and I bought it second-hand from eBay. It's a Windows tablet with a Wacom digitizer so I do use a pen and I get pressure sensitive strokes depending on what program I use.

I do some finger painting on my iPad but I find that being able to use a pen is less work.

You did this on a tablet computer?!? What software do you use? Is it something that is difficult to learn to use? I have tried to find something that is relatively simple to learn, but have not yet had any luck.

Hi novasparker. The tablet PC is an HP TC1100. They are old computers and I'm pretty sure you can get one for less than $200 on eBay. The program is completely free. It's called MyPaint. It's very simple to use as far as software goes.

I didn't draw much today, but I'm going to try to post a new sketch or painting here everyday. Here's what I have, a sketch of my daughter. It doesn't exactly look like her.

scrap61705_b.png

These are impressive, Nikema. I envy anyone with a talent for drawing, because even though you're using a computer, you need a certain flair and an eye for perspective. My daughter can't draw freehand, but she can copy anything that's put in front of her. I can't even do that!

I'm going to set you a challenge here. Can you do a self-portrait for us? I assume if you positioned a mirror near to the computer it could be done. What do you think?

WOW! These are very impressive sketches and I can say that you really have a gift and I have to thank you for sharing it to us. You can inspire a lot of people by doing this. :D I really love them!

This is so cool. Thanks so much for the heads up on what equipment you are using and the platform. I have been interested in getting into digital artwork for quite some time, I just don't have the time or the patience to sit and learn entirely new programs in order to just use a few basics. I will head on over to eBay a little later today. Thanks again, for sharing your work. Your sketch above is amazing.

Thanks everybody. As requested by Sandra Piddock I made a self-portrait today. I don't really have time to pose and draw from life at the moment so I used a photo for reference. Also, I misplaced my pen for my tablet PC so I used my finger, my iPad, and the app Sketch Club. It came out a little creepy looking. I spent about an hour working on it.

To novasparker, I hope you do pick up a tablet PC. I had a graphics tablet for years but I didn't use it much. It's so much easier and more natural to draw directly on the screen. I didn't mention that I have done some tinkering with my TC1100. Mine runs Windows 7 and I had to manually download a lot of the drivers I needed. You may want to look into a more powerful and newer tablet. You can look at the Lenovo ThinkPad X61 tablet and HP Elitebook 2710p and above. You can find them on eBay also.
Picture.jpeg

I found my pen! No drawing today, but I made a few 60 second gestures. I definitely need more practice with these but they got better as my session went on. I should be doing gestures daily along with some drawing from life. I'll post as a thumbnail because there are bare buttocks in a few so it's possible NSFW.

scrap61706_a.png

More minute gestures and a silly sketch of a moody robot kid. One sketch on my gesture page was longer than a minute I forgot to set the timer.

I didn't want to draw anything today but I didn't want to break my chain either. Technically, it's morning time but I don't consider the day over until I go to sleep.

scrap61707_a.png

scrap61708_a.png

For this drawing I just picked up the pen and started scribbling. Like usual, I ended up drawing a girl. I'm still trying not to break my chain of drawing daily. I'm cringing a little looking at these drawings but I'm sure if I keep it up, I'll see progress over time.
scrap61709_c.png

I really, really like that second one in the first post. I don't know what the story is behind it or what the child is thinking, but there is clear emotion. Both the eyes and the lips show that the child is fretting in some way or another....oh, those eyes!

I am also using old tablet PC- Lenovo x61, got as second hand item on ebay for around 200GBP or something.

Back today with a quick doodle. I've been pretty tired and not really up for much drawing.

Jessi, it's funny that the sketch turned out that way. I think she was just reading something. She has these really huge eyes and long eyelashes. Also, I was trying to capture her from observation but she doesn't really sit still.

Renars Graudins, how do you like your X61? I like a lot about my little tablet but it is pretty slow. Your model has better specs.

scrap61710_a.png

yeah, Lenovo x61 with dual core CPU is perfect for digital art, I am using Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit version, because Windows Vista 32 bit OS was lazy and some of new Adobe Creative suite programs not supporting 32 bit any more. More or less I think it is one of the best solution for hobbyist like me.

Doodles. I only have a few quick doodles today. I was very busy and I just did these while playing around a little.scrap61712_a.png

Attachments

4.8 KB · Views: 35