The Education Chat Network

Here you can discuss teaching, tutoring and all things educational.
Teaching? You can access lessons and resources made by teachers for teachers, provide tutoring services or classes online.
Studying? You can find an expert tutor to boost your grade, ask questions in the forum, attend online classes and much more.

Ages 11-16+ [Secondary] Politics in History

hafiz93

EdChat™ Nomad
Mar 13, 2016
History lessons will include the politics of the country. After all, that's part of the history as well. But there are also some syllabus or books that cover up some truth about it. There are also some teachers that decide to express their current political views, and sometimes try to even influence their students. So what do you think about this? How do you handle the politics aspect of the subject?

remnant

EdChat™ Esquire
Feb 27, 2016
There is a refrain that winners make history. The party that wins a war or is superior in one aspect or the other is the one that writes and rewrites the script of history. The subject is multifaceted and political history is a key cog in the syllabus. Politics like religion is an emotive issue and a functionally developed teacher should just give the facts and leave it to the learners to digest. As for biased books, I bet Wikipedia is a balanced resource which one can use to cross check facts both online and offline.

SirJoe

EdChat™ Esquire
Nov 22, 2015
History is full of politics, if it's not local politics it's global politics, it's impossible to get away from it. I think that teachers should make try to remain as neutral as possible, even though it's very often impossible to do so, but should never recruit students to their political belief.

remnant

EdChat™ Esquire
Feb 27, 2016
The fact remains that historically, history is history is made by the winners. Its invariably twisted against the third world. In most countries, history is taught with a limited scope with respect to the nations involved. But there is always the fact that history is twisted according to the idiosyncracies of whoever is teaching it. At the end of the day, a cow remains a any no matter which angle you look at it. The same case pertains to geography. It remains the duty of researchers to put the facts straight.

Guy

EdChat™ Nomad
Jul 31, 2016
Well, I just listened to what they had to say. I do believe that there are a lot of cover ups in school. It's pretty obvious that the government doesn't want the students in the country to learn about true events. Public education should be more truthful, but that will never happen as long as the government controls it.

If you read history book from other countries, you will notice much difference between the time lines. I have done this, plus people who are older that lived threw the times that we are taught in school will tell you the truth about certain wars and events.

pwarbi

EdChat™ B.Ed 3rd
Nov 23, 2015
UK
Politics is always going to be one of those subjects that is covered when talking about the history of a country, but for the teacher it's important to be able to deliver the lessons in a completely impartial manner. I'm sure that we all have our own political views and I'm sure that we all like to tell people why we think and vote the way we do, but when it comes to teaching then we have to try and make sure that our views don't lead a lesson in a certain direction.

In a few years from now, the Trump vs Clinton will no doubt come up when discussing American politics, but instead of a teacher expressing their opinions on the two candidates, they have to remain neutral and concentrate more on how and why those two got picked to run for president without giving their own opinions on who won and why.

UNN

EdChat™ Nomad
Jan 13, 2019
I will just like to drop a little comment on this, i believe History builds while Politics destroys.
[DOUBLEPOST=1547340494][/DOUBLEPOST]Nevertheless, Politics is an interesting subject in higher institution and is vital for the progress of any nation and i will also say it happens in all aspect of our life.

ElectorAlexander

EdChat™ Esquire
Jan 9, 2019
I think the study of history in one way or the other has something to do with politics because you can't discuss history without discussing the political and economic aspect, if politics as described by Harold is "who gets what, when and how" then it encompasses just government and goes beyond human lives for survival.