Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

Ages 3-5 [Early Years] Playing outside: does anyone really do it anymore?

hanafan36

Legacy Member
Recently a family moved into our apartment complex from Kentucky. They explained that they lived in a somewhat rural area, with a lot of trees and few buildings. Before they came, it was quiet outside our door. But now that they have their daughters, ages 3 to 5, running around we've discovered three more families that have kids!

What had they been doing before this family moved in? Playing video games? Some worry that it's become too dangerous for kids to play outside these days. While I won't dispute that my area has a high crime rate, that is the exact reason I feel it is safe. When the kids are quiet, I see at least three heads poke out whether they have a kid of their own or not.

Do the kids in your area play outside? Do you want them to?

Children don't seem to play outside nearly as much as they did in the past. Unless the child is enrolled in some sort of program where the children are required to go outside for an allotted period time some rarely get out. Parents would rather give a child a tablet of some electronic toy to play with instead of taking them out and engaging them with a toy or game. No, you can't just send your children out to play alone because it s no longer safe, but you can go and play with them or take them to enjoy the park or playground.

Yes, most children stay inside for the majority of the day, save those enrolled in sports and other activities. It just isn't safe for them to play outside without supervision anymore.

Kids are simply not the same anymore. I use to play outside all the time as a kid. I never wanted to go inside. My brother, who's 15 years younger than I, never had that experience. But he is not the only one. Absolutely none of his friends spends much time outside of their rooms. With apps like FaceTime, Oovoo, and Skype they are content with teleconferencing. I really wish more parents would encourage more out activities.

Absolutely! The kids in my neighborhood are constantly outside playing with their bikes and toys. Sometimes they even bring their handheld video games outside to play with. That's what I used to do as a kid! At least they're getting the fresh air!

There are very few kids that do play outside in my neighborhood. Most kids stay within their backyard or driveway area. Parents are always marking boundaries for them to keep them safe. I take my son to the park for outdoor play. I wouldn't leave my child outside alone, but it is important to let them play outside and make time for supervising them. Neighborhood parents could just take turns to do it.

I always try to bring my son outside at least once a day. I let him run, pick up the leaves, play with other kids or just enjoy the scenery. He's just about to turn two years old so I have to accompany him still. He plays with gadgets, yes, but it's on a limited time basis. If it were up to me, he won't be playing those gadgets until he is three years old. But we live with my husband's aunt and she's such an enabler. She just gives him the gadget every time we go down the stairs from our room.

Anyway, that aunt has a son and he doesn't go out as much. He's always stuck in his iPad. I don't want my son to be addicted to gadgets. I want him to enjoy running, playing with other kids and just being active in his life.

I come from a rural area in the tropics. Here, kids playing outside is the norm rather than the exception. Though crime is everywhere in the world nowadays, this is not a serious impediment save for big urban areas. The greatest worry for parents with regard to kids playing outside has to do with traffic. Some drivers are reckless and cases of vehicles veering off the roads are legion. For kids to really be themselves, they should be given a chance to play outside under supervision where necessary.

I thought much like everyone else when I lived in the United States. When I was a tyke, I was always outside getting dirty. My mom hated how her little princess would come home covered in dirt and scabs. To this day, my favorite place is outside, doing outdoorsy things. My imagination runs rampant. But, that's me, a child of a time when technology was just beginning to get enmeshed into our lives. Now, I look at kids sitting at home in front of the TV when the sun's shining and there's birds singing and think to myself, "What kind of child doesn't want to roll in the grass?!"

But then I moved to Japan and realized kids are different here. Kids love the outdoors, and although Japan is thought to be this big technologically-dependent entity, it's not. I see kids running around at parks, no cell phones or iPods in sight. They tumble through the dirt, pretend to be superheroes and villains, play hide and seek, climb trees, and generally have a great time. Such a change from America.

I have also noticed that most kids stay home and play on their computers or tablets now compared to my younger years where computers and tablets were not yet there. I can understand how parents want to protect their children from potential dangers outside the house nowadays because I also do that as a parent. I however encourage my child to play outside even just once a week by accompanying him in parks and watching over him while he plays and interacts with other kids.

I think children still do play a lot outside, though it mostly depends on where you live. If you live in a safer neighborhood with not a lot of cars and with many parks available in the area, then I think the kids in that neighborhood are more likely to be playing outside. City kids, I feel, would tend to stay more indoors, or just have play dates with other kids in the house.

They often times do around here during the warmer months. It snows here in the winter so during colder weather they will often times take PE type breaks inside rooms like the lunch room. They will play different dancing type games and things such as that. But legally when it gets cold enough they are not allowed to go play outside.

I rarely see kids playing outside even at parks. The teenagers will go out and play basketball at the court, but I don't really see children playing. They all stay inside. I have a lovely nephew who used to always sit in the house and always play games.

One day he came tome and asked if we could go outside and play kickball, this was one of the best moments I had with him, I loved that experience because as soon as he did that I realized that I never went outside and played with him before. It was really fun, I think many parents will get their kids to go outside and play if they go out there with the,. I would've loved to have played anything outside with my mom, but she just wasn't interested in doing that I guess, plus I never asked.

Well I sure hope so. I know that I used to work with kids and that was always my first inclination - but that was partly because I was just unprepared most of the time and it was easy, but still. I think that it is valuable and it should be included into the curriculum, and I would like to think that it still is, but I am really not sure. I do remember a warning against taking kids outside because of a fire in Canada a while back, and I thought that was awfully stupid, but oh well.

Surprisingly, kids in my neighborhood are constantly outside. It is so great when I go out and see them on the playground, playing hide-and-seek, riding bikes etc. That's what they need, place for them to socialize, learn from each other and spend quality time.

On the other hand, many of my siblings younger than 5 are more familiar with the video games than with other children. I feel terrible when I see them staring at the screen, but if their parents allow them to live like that, what can I do. That is so disappointing...

The kids in my neighborhood all play outside. There is a common area behind each set of town homes and if you are the unlucky set of town homes where the kids decide to play you will be able to hear everything you do. The courtyard makes all the noise bounce around and into your house. I don't mind that the kids play outside and I think it is good for them, still a bit annoying though I keep that to myself.

In areas where there is a high level of population, those who do not have very high levels of income, can only opt for a few small housing solutions or apartments with limited spaces for recreation, but usually, in these areas, there is some kind of park or spaces dedicated to the practice of sports. I think that is the opportunity you have to take children to enjoy or play in open spaces, it may also be appropriate to incorporate them into sports teams, so that the same activity in which that team must participate, many people attend that allow them to take care of each other, if the area they visit could be dangerous.

These could be some suggestions for children to play in open spaces, in cities with a high level of population.

Urbanization has decreased open space. These days it is very difficult to have a large open space for the children to play. Therefore, it is imperative that schools provide playing grounds for the kids to play.

I'm happy to say that the kids in our community, particularly in our street, still go outside and play outdoor games. Though there are a handful that brings gadget along with them, most kids are actively playing. Some play basketball, chasing games, hide and seek. There are also kids who ride their bikes. I also like to raise my son actively playing basketball and other outdoor games. I believe kids who play outdoor games and bond together will be able to build camaraderie and long lasting friendships.

No. I see no children playing outside, not like before. When we were at the age of 3-5, we play as long as we want outside with our neighbors but then nowadays, smartphones and any other gadgets had conquered the world of playing outside, instead, children nowadays is so hard to play outside, unlike before, parents would convince children to not play too much outdoors. Its sad and heart breaking, but I think it also depends on the parents.

Back