Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

One hit wonders quiz

Sandra Piddock

Legacy Member
Okay, let's tax the brains a little. There's no fantastic prize for this - just the satisfaction of knowing how much useless information you've managed to accrue. The thread title says it all - it's about one hit wonders, the overnight successes who never quite made it into the musical hall of fame. How many of these can you get right? I'll post the answers next week. You can either post here, or if you're really serious about this, PM me with your answers.

1. Whose There She Goes hit the top 20 in 1990?
2. Which film features Always Look on the Bright Side of Life?
3. Which duo sang Je T'aime, Moi Non Plus, which was banned in many countries in 1969?
4. Who had a hit with Something in the Air?
5. Who recorded It's Raining Men in 1984?
6. What song was a hit for Bobby Mc Ferrin in 1984?
7. Which TV series has I'll Be There For You by The Rembrandts as its theme tune?
8. Who had a No. 1 with Your Woman in 1997?
9. Which song was a hit for The Baha Men in 2000?
10. Who recorded Because I Got High in 2001?
11. Which act had a hit with Fire in 1968?
12. Which band recorded Video Killed the Radio Star in 1979?
13. Who had a No. 1 with Chocolate Salty Balls in 2000? He's also known as 'Chef,' because his voice was used for a South Park character.
14. Who recorded 99 Red Balloons in 1984?
15. The theme tune to Beverly Hills Cop was also used in the Crazy Frog ringtone in 2005. What is its title?
16. Chesney Hawkes had a hit with The One and Only in 1991. To which 1960's pop group did his father belong?

Would googling all the answers be considered cheating? You didn't specify any competition rules...

I'm sad to report that I don't know the answer to a single question. I'm out of touch with music. :<

Would googling all the answers be considered cheating? You didn't specify any competition rules...

Definitely! This reminds me of something very funny. When I was in England, we belonged to a Motorhome Club, and each weekend, we had a quiz, with a bottle of wine for the prize. One weekend, we were in Camborne - a Cornish town where there was a Steam Rally in honour of Richard Trevithick, the famous engineer who was born there. We had a great time at the steam rally, but one of the members spent the day in the library, Googling the answers to the quiz. She won the bottle of wine, but we had a great day, so we were the real winners.

After that, we tried to organise quizzes that couldn't be won by Googling, such as cryptic clues and photo quizzes. It's amazing the lengths some people will go to, just to win a bottle of wine.

---------- Post added at 06:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:10 PM ----------

I'm sad to report that I don't know the answer to a single question. I'm out of touch with music. :<

I knew 10 of them - but then I'm a lot older than you, I expect. I'll be 60 in June. No disgrace in not knowing, I just thought it would be something a bit different.

I'm sure many readers will know them. I just happen to be a boring person who doesn't listen to music often. XD

OK - well I haven't Googled anything (Scouts honour), so here goes:

1. Whose There She Goes hit the top 20 in 1990?
2. Which film features Always Look on the Bright Side of Life? The Life of Brian
3. Which duo sang Je T'aime, Moi Non Plus, which was banned in many countries in 1969?
4. Who had a hit with Something in the Air?
5. Who recorded It's Raining Men in 1984? The Weather Girls
6. What song was a hit for Bobby Mc Ferrin in 1984? Don't worry, be happy
7. Which TV series has I'll Be There For You by The Rembrandts as its theme tune? Friends
8. Who had a No. 1 with Your Woman in 1997?
9. Which song was a hit for The Baha Men in 2000? Who let the dogs out
10. Who recorded Because I Got High in 2001?
11. Which act had a hit with Fire in 1968? The Doors
12. Which band recorded Video Killed the Radio Star in 1979? Buggles
13. Who had a No. 1 with Chocolate Salty Balls in 2000? He's also known as 'Chef,' because his voice was used for a South Parkcharacter. Isaac Hayes
14. Who recorded 99 Red Balloons in 1984? Nena
15. The theme tune to Beverly Hills Cop was also used in the Crazy Frog ringtone in 2005. What is its title? Axel F
16. Chesney Hawkes had a hit with The One and Only in 1991. To which 1960's pop group did his father belong?

That's my lot, I'm afraid!

Well done, Rachel, for stepping up to the challenge and being the first to have a go. Obviously, I'm not saying which answers are correct and which are not - answers time is Monday 31st. However, perhaps it will jog a few memories for other members.

This type of quiz is what I like...I do not know of one answer but that is OK because I don't lose getting the prize! But as a loving (and charming person as well) I will offer you a question to think about. In Richard Strauss's "Till Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks" what is the reason for his beheading and how is it musically represented? And the prize? A Cyber-hug! :p

I had to Google this - and I wish I hadn't. I should have known the Buddhist Hitchcock wouldn't have given us a 'Sound of Music' type question. Shall I spill, Richard, or hang on for somebody who really knows the answer?

I had to Google this - and I wish I hadn't. I should have known the Buddhist Hitchcock wouldn't have given us a 'Sound of Music' type question. Shall I spill, Richard, or hang on for somebody who really knows the answer?

Spill the beans my dear! I need to get rid of this hug! And you are forgiven for using Google.

Wow! I did not know a single answer to any of these! I thought I listened to a lot of music but I guess not.

The only ones I got right were #5, #14 and #15. Besides that I got the rest of the questions wrong unfortunately and had no clue what the answers possibly could be either!

I am so not with it. I couldn't ask or answer one of these questions. How sad. Can someone do a quiz for blondes please lol

I got 11 of the answers and I didn't use Google. With the state of some of the songs in the quiz though, I'm not sure if I should be more proud or embarrassed that I knew so many?

My gosh, I don't the answer to any of these questions. Most of the timeframes are before my birth so maybe that's it.

My gosh, I don't the answer to any of these questions. Most of the timeframes are before my birth so maybe that's it.

Well I'm 38 years old now and so a lot of the music I did know, or I'd at least heard of. Where music is concerned I have a wide and varied past anyway so that also helped I think.

Last edited:
Okay so I think I have the answer to number 10. That was Afro Man or something like that. By the way those were some interesting questions and if I Google I can practically answer all of them. But just going down the row, I can maybe answer maybe about 3 or 4 of them. Thanks for this post, gave me a little bit of a chuckle.

Back