Long test vs daily quiz

Discussion in 'Public Resources' started by Corzhens, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Tehilah27

Tehilah27 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I prefer short quizzes because they are easy to take and taking the quizzes as often as you're doing will help you retain what you've learnt. It will also help students stay alert during class because of the possibility of taking a quiz soon after the lesson. Taking short quizzes will only cover a small range of topics which would be advantageous to you because you can narrow your reading

2. JaneBosch

JaneBosch EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    I like daily short quizzes better. It's easier on the students because there is less to remember. Besides, I think it makes tracking their learning progress easier. You can see how well they are grasping the concepts and can fix any potential misunderstandings quicker if you are tracking their learning daily.

3. Nicho Fernandez

Nicho Fernandez EdChat™ B.Ed 2.1

EdChat Karma:
    I used to hate finals because I thought it was unfair that I was tested on material that has not been covered in quite some time in a class room setting. Now that I am much older, was it really so unfair? I happen to know a little bit more about how the brain works now as opposed to then. The idea behind testing students on materiel they have not covered in awhile is to essentially make them put in the hard work to go back and expose their minds to subjects and material covered in the past. This method of teaching by long term knowledge repetition is a proven method of learning. The key here is that the students will have to go back to the work they did before and re expose themselves. Thus increasing the chances of them retaining the information for the big test. This may sound like stuff everyone already knows, but what some people do not know is that the part of the brain that recalls information from the far away distant past, is different from the part of the brain that recalls the short term. Quizzes have a tendency to stimulate the short term memory part of your brain. Long term tests have the tendency to stimulate the part of your brain that is long term. So if you were to stop tests in favor of more quizzes. Do you think that maybe our children would retain less of what they learn in school as they mature? I am not a Dr but my guess is that it would!

Mary M. likes this.
  4. sarahb

sarahb EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Both have their benefits IMO. I think daily revision-type tests can be a good way to summarize and recap what was learned in class. Longer tests are useful to go over an entire term or semester of content, to ensure that what needed to be retained could be remembered easily. In short, I think both short quizzes and longer tests do have a place in the classroom.

Nicho Fernandez likes this.
  5. Mary M.

Mary M. EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Both long tests and daily quizzes are essential to have good grades at school. But I think they are testing different things. For daily short quizzes, it is testing the comprehension and a good way to check if the students understood the discussion or not. On the other hand, the long quizzes determined if what did the students remember from the previous lessons. It is a basically a review. So it is a good indicator if students retain the information they learned.

I usually encouraged students to do more on long tests. So that they will do a review and learn more things in the process. Students should not forget what they have learned since I believed it is a prerequisite to their next lessons.

Nicho Fernandez likes this.
  6. Al Paolo De Castro

Al Paolo De Castro EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Long tests will result in students cramming, because long tests will include topics that have been discussed a while ago. In comparison to having daily short quizzes, I think it's more effective because you can make quizzes for the topics that were discussed that day, and students will not cram and will focus on the topic more, thus will have better result.

7. Carmela Ruado

Carmela Ruado EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Yes. I agree with you but then after those short quizzes, there should be a long test. The long test would now be easy because short quizzes were given. Both are great because it will strengthen the knowledge of the students

8. Corzhens

Corzhens EdChat™ M.Ed

EdChat Karma:
    I have to agree that short quizzes are more effective particularly with the performance of the students because it is easier to answer than a long test. However quizzes cannot stand when it comes to the evaluation of the students in the grading period that a long test will always be the gauge. Maybe it is a good practice for teachers to have short quizzes every day and a long test at the end of the week.

9. Sneska

Sneska EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Personally I prefer short quizzes because they're more interesting and more dynamic, and also they are much easier to check. However, it is necessary to include long tests in evaluation in order to maintain versatility. Students generally don't like them and they are by far more stressful.

10. houd

houd EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    I'd rather short daily quizzes since i find them much more beneficial and funny, also long quizzes tend to get boring, the student may get tired or loose interst not to mention that by using short quizzes the students tend to revise their lessons more often. Long story short; short quizzes are a better choice , yet; it's alright to include some long quizzes from time to time !

11. newlife

newlife EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Short quizzes are better to make the students alert or attentive .It can help teachers determine if there is a need to reteach and retest . Teaching intervention or assistance should be given before giving the students long test . Teachers need to target the needed skills of students.

12. Meshack

Meshack EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Both are good. The short quizzes will keep the learner's abreast with the syllabus. They will follow every fact and details. The long one will ensure the facts learned are kept to memory and recalled in the test

13. Parasaurolophus

Parasaurolophus EdChat™ B.Ed 2.1

EdChat Karma:
    Short quizzes for sure. Going over the same points, more or less, on a daily basis is more efficient for retention than dumping a long quiz on students who are already tired and, more often than not, overloaded with information we need to remember from our other courses. You could even mix it up and do short daily quizzes then throw in a long one at the end of the month, or at the end of the lesson plan.

14. pamz bembi

pamz bembi EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    honest taught I would prefer a daily quiz rather than a long quiz.. in long quiz you would cram yourself to memories everything you have learned from the week or month.. which is not good because if you only remember it just for the sake of the long quiz, the thing that you tried to remember will just be forgotten, unlike a daily short quiz will refresh you of the thing you have learned from that day and better understanding of what you have learned.

15. Corzhens

Corzhens EdChat™ M.Ed

EdChat Karma:
    According to our friend who is assistant principal in a public school, the long test is a gauge if the student has retentive power with the lessons. I agree with that because a short quiz would not be lasting on the mind of the student. After a day or 2, everything that was taken up in the short quiz will surely be forgotten by the majority of the students.

We believe a good thing should be shared