The Education Chat Network

Here you can discuss teaching, tutoring and all things educational.
Teaching? You can access lessons and resources made by teachers for teachers, provide tutoring services or classes online.
Studying? You can find an expert tutor to boost your grade, ask questions in the forum, attend online classes and much more.

Ages 9-11 | KS2.ii Let's Play the Integers card game (Adding integers)

Jhun

Staff Writer
Staff member
Verified Member
Activity Time
10 - 15 minutes
Introduction/Overview
Playing a deck of cards with friends is always enjoyable to pass the time, but you can also use them to play a fun math game. In this game, Students will add integers using a deck of cards, red cards are negative integers while black cards are positive integers.

Procedure
In this game, Students will add integers using deck cards, red cards are negative integers while black cards are postive integers.

Steps:
  1. Print the Fruits Playing Card (I recommend cardboard)
  2. Cut the Fruits Playing Card.
  3. Download the Integers card game- Adding integers Activity sheet 1* and Activity Sheet 2
Warm-up Activity :
  1. Distribute Activity sheet 1 to your students.
  2. Make sure you explain and model how to answer the 2 examples on the sheet before students start answering on their own.
  3. Ask the students to answer Activity sheet 1* (Adding Integers)
  4. Afterward, discuss the answers to Activity sheet 1(Adding Integers)

Main Activity :
Option 1 (Teacher Initiated Activity)
  1. Distribute activity sheet 2 to your students.
  2. Shuffle the Fruits Playing Card and place them in the middle of the table face down. Pick 2 Fruits Playing Card and ask the students to write the equation on the Activity sheet.
  3. Red cards are negative integers while black cards are positive integers. Assign picture cards, such as jacks, queens, and kings, a value of 10. For example, Jack =11, Queen =12 and King =13.
  4. If player A, draws Red 8 and Black 5, they should say, "(-8) + 5 = n " Then if player B, draw (Red) 3 and (Black) 4, then the number sentence is "(-3) + 4 = n"
  5. Do this until your students have at least written 10 equations on their sheets.
  6. Afterward, ask them to find the sum of the integers on their activity sheet 2.
  7. Discuss the answers to the equations.
Option 2 (Student Initiated Activity)

1. Ask the students to find a partner.
  2. Distribute activity sheet 2 to your students.
  3. Set up the timer, and play the game for 10 to 15 minutes.
  4. Ask the students to shuffle Fruits Playing Card and then distribute them evenly with the number face down. So for 2 players, each player should have 26 cards.
  5. Each player should keep their cards in a stack. Assign picture cards, such as jacks, queens, and kings, a value of 10. For example, Jack =11, Queen =12 and King =13
  6. Each player turns two cards face up, reads the number, and add the integers. The equation will then be placed in the Activity sheet 2.
  7. If player A, draws Red 8 and Black 5, they should say, "(-8) + 5 = n " Then if player B, draw (Red) 3 and (Black) 4, then the number sentence is "(-3) + 4 = n"
  8. Each correct answer is equivalent to one point.
  9. When the timer goes off, each player should count the total points they got.
  10. The player with the most points wins.
  11. For the advanced students, they can draw 3 cards instead of 2 and write them on the activity sheet.

* A word file is provided so teachers can edit the equations.
Card-animation.gif

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 11.21.35 PM.png

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Ferdinand

ALK

Review Team
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2020
Queens, New York,United States
This activity does a great job teaching students to add integers. The content is explained in a clear, focused, and engaging manner. The instructions are short, clear, and easy to understand. Additionally, the teacher-led and student-led options, picture supports, and the use of the number line are excellent techniques to provide multiple entry points for different learners.
Recommendations:
  • In the United States adding integers is typically taught in 6-8th grades, which roughly corresponds to the 11-13-year-old age range. If this activity is meant to target audiences in the United States, we recommend changing the age range.
  • To allow students enough time to practice the worksheet and to play the game, I believe this activity will likely take closer to 15-20 minutes.
  • The activity sheets are a great resource for students to refer to in case they forget how to add integers. In the activity and in the teacher explanation, I recommend defining absolute value to remind students what it means and how to find it.
  • Main Activity: I love the teacher led option and the student led option as this gives teachers flexibility for reaching different students. In the student led option, before students begin, I recommend the teacher still model with one or two examples so that students know how to play the card game before they begin.
  • Review and conform the color indicator of the positive and negative integers. In the introduction, it says that red cards are negative integers, but in the procedure, it says that black cards are negative integers. Please revise the examples in the main activity accordingly (Option 1, Step 4; Option 2, Step 7).
    • I recommend using red as the negative integer indicator, since red is often used to indicate negative integers in video games students may play and in other real-life contexts like the stock market.
Differentiation:
  • Encourage teachers to use the number line more explicitly to help students see why/how the rules for adding integers works.
General:
  • Introduction:
    • This introduction is a bit unclear: “Playing a deck of cards with friends is always enjoyable. Imagine how enjoying math games would be with the use of these cards.”
      • You can revise this to the below or something similar:
    • “Playing a deck of cards with friends is always enjoyable to pass the time, but you can also use them to play a fun math game!
  • Warm-up:
    • The sentence, “Make sure you explain the 2 examples on the sheet before they start answering”
      • Can be revised to
    • “Make sure you explain and model how to answer the 2 examples on the sheet before students start answering on their own”

Reactions: Ferdinand and Jhun

Jhun

Staff Writer
Staff member
Verified Member
This activity does a great job teaching students to add integers. The content is explained in a clear, focused, and engaging manner. The instructions are short, clear, and easy to understand. Additionally, the teacher-led and student-led options, picture supports, and the use of the number line are excellent techniques to provide multiple entry points for different learners.
Recommendations:
  • In the United States adding integers is typically taught in 6-8th grades, which roughly corresponds to the 11-13-year-old age range. If this activity is meant to target audiences in the United States, we recommend changing the age range.
  • To allow students enough time to practice the worksheet and to play the game, I believe this activity will likely take closer to 15-20 minutes.
  • The activity sheets are a great resource for students to refer to in case they forget how to add integers. In the activity and in the teacher explanation, I recommend defining absolute value to remind students what it means and how to find it.
  • Main Activity: I love the teacher led option and the student led option as this gives teachers flexibility for reaching different students. In the student led option, before students begin, I recommend the teacher still model with one or two examples so that students know how to play the card game before they begin.
  • Review and conform the color indicator of the positive and negative integers. In the introduction, it says that red cards are negative integers, but in the procedure, it says that black cards are negative integers. Please revise the examples in the main activity accordingly (Option 1, Step 4; Option 2, Step 7).
    • I recommend using red as the negative integer indicator, since red is often used to indicate negative integers in video games students may play and in other real-life contexts like the stock market.
Differentiation:
  • Encourage teachers to use the number line more explicitly to help students see why/how the rules for adding integers works.
General:
  • Introduction:
    • This introduction is a bit unclear: “Playing a deck of cards with friends is always enjoyable. Imagine how enjoying math games would be with the use of these cards.”
      • You can revise this to the below or something similar:
    • “Playing a deck of cards with friends is always enjoyable to pass the time, but you can also use them to play a fun math game!
  • Warm-up:
    • The sentence, “Make sure you explain the 2 examples on the sheet before they start answering”
      • Can be revised to
    • “Make sure you explain and model how to answer the 2 examples on the sheet before students start answering on their own”
Thank you so much, those are really great recommendations. I will definitely take your suggestions.

Reactions: Ferdinand