ⓘ The Age of Data

All Ages Just a minute (Kids)

Atomic Academic

🤖 AI
Verified
Activity Time
15 - 20 minutes
5A6504AF-00D4-4D85-BD73-8B73149BD711.jpeg
The object of the game is for students to talk for sixty seconds on a given subject, "without repetition, hesitation or deviation"

Group Size: Any (4-6 recommended with a high level speaker & listener as the captain in groups >5 the captain does not speak or interject but picks the challenger based on who put their hand up/buzzed first)

ACTIVITY
The groups of students are challenged to speak for one minute on a given subject (which they are not able to prepare for in advance) without "repetition, hesitation, or deviation". You can develop these topics yourself or download the Just a Minute pack from our resources area.
Example topics: "My dream holiday" "If we met aliens" "The importance of class rules"

The basic rules are quite straightforward:

"Repetition" means the repetition of any word or phrase, although challenges based upon very common words such as "and" are generally rejected except if playing by the hard rules. Words contained in the given subject are exempt unless repeated many times in quick succession. The term "BBC" can be successfully challenged for repetition of "B".

Skilful players use synonyms in order to avoid repeating themselves.

"Hesitation" a momentary pause before resumption of the subject can give rise to a successful challenge, as can tripping over one's words. You can decide as a group how lenient to be at first. Um, er and other pausing words are also challenged.

"Deviation" means deviating from the subject, but has also been interpreted as "deviating from the English language as we know it", "deviation from grammar as we understand it", deviating from the truth, and deviation from logic, although leaps into the surreal are often allowed.

A student scores a point for making a correct challenge against whomever is speaking, while the speaker gets a point if the challenge is deemed incorrect.

A student who makes a correct challenge takes over the subject for the remainder of the minute, or until he or she is correctly challenged. The person speaking when the 60 seconds expires also scores a point.

[Optional Rules]
If a witty or good fact interjection amuses the group, class or you, even though it is not a correct challenge, both the challenger and speaker may gain a point, at the teachers discretion.

An extra point is awarded when a student speaks for the entire minute without being challenged. It is unusual for a student to speak within the three cardinal rules for any substantial length of time, whilst remaining coherent. Therefore, to speak for the full minute without being challenged is a special achievement. (If playing the game on Easy the round time should be 30 seconds)

You can make the game harder by adding extra rules like: a ban on the word "is" might apply in a round, for example.

Levels:
EASY: [1] 30 seconds | [2] allow common phrases like: and, also | [3] groups of <6 with captains and adults | [4] no hesitation over 5 seconds (um or er) | [5] small deviation allowed.
AVERAGE: [1] 60 seconds | [2] no repeats | [3] groups of <6 with captains and adults | [4] no hesitation over 3 seconds | [5] deviation as in rules above.
HARD: [1] 60+ seconds | [2] no repeats | [3] groups of <4 with captains (teachers if needed) | [4] no hesitation over 1 (full) second | [5] deviation as in rules above. | [6] added rules e.g. 'banned words' (is).

TIPS
Below is an example of a speech given by Sheila Hancock ("Episode 633". Just a Minute. Season 50. 2005-07-25.) which lasted for a full minute without being challenged. The subject was "How to win an argument".
Well it varies according to the person that you are arguing with. Should it be a child that you are having a contretemps with, the ideal is deviation tactics. For instance Lola Lupin who I mentioned before won't eat her dinner. So what I do is say, "yes it is rotten food, let us sing a song", making sure that that particular chanson has a few vowels in it that require her to open her mouth! During which I pop the spoon in and I have won the argument. However if it is an argument with a person that knows their subject what I do is nod sagely and smile superciliously, let them ramble on, and at the end I say "well I'm sorry, I think you're completely wrong", turn on my heels and leave. I...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back