Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

remnant

Legacy Member
I have started using this technique to teach English in the area of talking and listening. I invite students to stand infront of the class and tell a story. The rest of the class listens and takes note of the grammatical mistakes that the story teller makes. They also verbally alert him to rectify the mistakes before continuing with the story. This is abound to improve their diction and flow in the English language.

Do the learners have the option to not participate in this task? I can imagine that quite a few people might feel a little put off at the prospect of their entire peer group sitting and picking away at each and every mistake they make.

How about having the learners make a list of things that the speaker did well, as well as the mistakes? This will not only reduce the amount of pressure that the speaker feels during the lesson, but will also have the added benefit of the learners being told about strengths that they might not have realized they had. Knowing what NOT to change about how they speak is just as important as knowing what they did wrong, lest they end up trying to fix things that just aren't broken, taking time away from areas that DO need their focus and attention.

I find the technique as challenging. Even to Filipino folks, most students are not confident to speak in front and be corrected upfront. Embarrassment is one reason why it might hinder learner from participating. In any case, it might be imperative as well so that students will learn more.

Back