Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

Film Photography

Sommer

Legacy Member
Hello everyone!

I just wanted to see if anyone still utilizes SLR cameras because it has become a passion of mine. Though it may seem odd, I love the process of shooting photos with film. The time and effort seem to add something special to it. If you do still use film cameras, maybe you could post some of your work? When I get up and running again I'll be sure to post some of mine if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I am by no means an expert. I'm still learning a lot and need a new (old) camera because mine has malfunctioned. However, during my winter break I am planning on working on an old Brownie Hawkeye that I rescued from my grandparents' house a couple of weeks ago.

Can't wait to hear back from you all!

Interesting, I don't know many people that shoot with film now a days, but I'd be very interested in you posting your work. I think it would be really cool to see some of the pictures you can take! Take care and goodluck!

It is definitely not unusual that you want to shoot film. I think it teaches us the importance of thinking before clicking the button.

What interests you in shooting film? The fact that you cannot see what you captured or the process of developing the film in darkroom?

I still do, though not as much as I wish I could. It's expensive! And I do photography for a living, it'd be impossible to freelance today with film because people want images and they want them now.

I still do, though not as much as I wish I could. It's expensive! And I do photography for a living, it'd be impossible to freelance today with film because people want images and they want them now.

Do you think film photography is more of a passion than a money making option? As you said the clients want the images asap. In such a scenario do you know any situation where a professional photographer can use film for client work?

I never had an SLR camera. However, when I was in college, I really had such huge passion for photography. I was actually considering taking photography classes back then.

It's funny that you say that, there a great many photographers that consider the images taken on film and developed, photos. The others are just images. The argument they use is that a photo is final and you can alter it while a image you can always process it with Photoshop.

Quite frankly, two or three years ago, SLR cameras are very popular from where I am. You would see people lounging those cameras even to the mall or to the school. And especially in trips or tourist spots, you will rarely spot a person without an SLR camera. Those days, the GoPro wasn't even around so the camera with the most crisp pictures is the SLR.

Right now, I cannot even recall anyone bringing them anymore. All I see are people flinging their camera phones or even GoPros since they are more convenient to bring and they do take nice and clear photos.

As for me, I'm one of those people. Our SLR camera is hidden and locked away now. But yeah, I miss the feeling of bringing that around though.

Back