Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

All Ages Do you think that religion is an unnecessary subject?

lindbergh

Legacy Member
When I was still in college and I still had to take up religion subjects, I heard some of my classmates say that they thought that religion subjects were unnecessary. They said that if a subject is not related to the course at all, then it should be ditched altogether.

Personally, I liked the religion subjects. They were a nice diversion from harder subjects like accounting and economics.

Do you think that religion is an unnecessary subject?

People still try to argue that morals came from religion,it actually isn't and religion crosses the way of understanding why those morals even exist.I completely agree that religion is indeed an unnecessary subject.I still wonder how the world would be better off with no religion or maybe just 1 religion to follow.

I don't have anything against religion as long as it's not imposed on me. When I was in school religion was a required class, still is now, and this is something I wish would stop. Children should be able to choose when and where to study about religion and should not be forced too.

And yes, it was one of the easier classes, much like sports, that everyone liked because of the easy good grades one could receive.

I personally believe it to be one of the most important subjects. It teaches morals for a start.
Another thing is the way it tells people about the other religions ergo it teaches us to be considerate and not discriminate.
If you study religion you can tell the vast majority of wars used war as an excuse rather than a proper reason.

I think religion is good background knowledge to have since it's something that everyone knows something about. However, personally, I never really liked religion studies since I can't relate to it much. Personally for me, I find philosophy and religion similar. There is obviously a big difference, but I find them similar since they are things that have much debates and don't have a right answer.

I agree with the above in that philosophy and religion are similar. I like philosophy which could be why RS appeals to me. Each to their own I guess.

We do not have religion subjects when I was in college, only in grade school and high school years. Maybe you studied in a Catholic or Christian school/university in college that is why you have religious subjects.
I enjoyed my religion subjects before and I think it is necessary especially if discussing good values.

I don't believe only 1 religion should be taught. I believe comprehensive classes should be taught so people have an understanding of the similarities and differences of various religions. Something more along the lines of history. The classes are optional in public school but required in the majority of private schools. If you want to have the prestige of going to a private school, then you have to follow their policies. If you don't like the policies, don't go to the school.

When we know more about a person's religious beliefs, we have a better understanding of the choices they make. This type of knowledge is particularly useful in social-service based fields.

When I was in grade school, I was educated in a Catholic school. Naturally I learned about the Catholic faith.

While this was interesting enough, by the time we got to the 7th grade, I was tired of learning the same thing over and over. It just wasn't engaging, and it probably contributed to me distancing myself from the religion. In the 8th grade, however, and only the 8th grade, we learned about world religions and that really did interest me, and continues to interest me. I feel like a historical analysis of the development of the religion could add to the religious curriculum. While it's important to learn about morality and such, I think that a well-rounded aspect would serve the student better educationally. However, it really wouldn't serve the institution in its goal, if that goal is to foster one religious belief.

I had an advanced social studies and history teacher that handled it really well. Religion has been so closely linked with government in the past it would be impossible not to mention it. There are also other theories such as evolution that is taught in schools, so the ideals of religion could be set in that category as well. I think teaching of religion has its place. However, the focus of religion for example through holiday activities, when there could be other learning activities like language, science, and history that could be of more benefit to the student is very unnecessary and a waste of tax payers dollars. But a basic knowledge of religious beliefs with regard to social studies and history is also beneficial because education helps combat ignorance. And ignorance and fear has been the basis for much religious persecution in the past.

I know next to nothing about religion and I do not think that has made me any less of a good person. I've actually met people who claim to be of certain religions that are really kind of awful and selfish on the inside. I love my family to death and want to do everything to please the people I love/care about. I'm always ready and willing to help. I don't believe in judging someone just by looking at them and I do not think I'm better than anyone else. I also believe in karma. That being said, I think religion is kind of pointless.

If my son tells me one day he wants to go to church that is fine. But, I don't understand how children can come to that decision on their own if they are forced to go at a very young age. If you just always take your child to church... Is that a decision they made or one you made for them?

In my perception i still believe Religion equals politics in the modern day world.It is a tool used against the masses for extorting control over them.Look at the clashes that happen every now and then..If it doesn't bring peace in this universe it ain't worth anything..Seriously..!!

Knowledge is really power, knowledge on any subject is powerful but after an individual has been educated, it is really up to them if they accept such teachings and how they will use it in the future. Is it necessary to teach religion, I say absolutely . I was taught religious education in school, it has helped me to understand a lot of people and why they do certain things or don't do certain things. However I think it should be basic because going deep will take up a lot of time that could be used else where.

World Religions classes should have a greater presence in schools to make kids more cultured. It seems as though people may be turned off by religious studies because it seems to only entail Christianity, as if that is the only religion ever. I definitely do not agree nor like that that type of thing happens. But if we taught different religions to kids I feel as though it would help with the process of self identity that many of us are struggling with because we may have not been pushed to figure out who we are, why we're here, and what our purpose is in school. So, if executed properly, it would probably have a positive outcome.

In my perception i still believe Religion equals politics in the modern day world.It is a tool used against the masses for extorting control over them.Look at the clashes that happen every now and then..If it doesn't bring peace in this universe it ain't worth anything..Seriously..!!
You have a point. I do think that there are some religions that only take advantage of people. I've also played a game - Xenogears - that tackles this aspect, stating that religion is nothing more but an organization aimed to control people and raise money to be used for personal gain. However, I don't think that all religions are like that. I do believe that the Catholic Church contributes greatly for the betterment of society. I do think that there are lessons to be learned from their teachings. But, before we go out of topic, the original thread asks about whether Religion is an unnecessary subject to be added. Is it useless to study the teachings of old?

I think that as you look at education as a tool to get a good job, it is less important than some classes. I had to take one philosophy or religion class to get my A.A. But there were no requirements for religion in my B.A. Obviously, the people that are involved greatly influences how important religion is. I have a friend who went to Catholic school all the way through graduation. He seems to resent it now as a man in his forties, but his mom still thinks it was the right choice.

It depends on the school.

If you go to a religious school, then, of course, religion is a mandatory subject. If you go to a secular school, religion can be an optional subject. Actually I would prefer, for secular schools, that a subject like "Comparative Religion" should be taught. It would give the students an idea of what kind of religions there are in the world.

I don't have any issues with attending religion classes in college. Just like what you have already said, it's a good diversion from all those difficult subjects you have to take. Plus, it also helps boost your spirituality, and keeps you motivated.

I have to admit that while I've nothing against any forms of religion, when it comes to religious education in schools, I don't think that it does have a place on the school curriculum anymore.

Parents should be able to have their child follow their religion but I don't think that's necessarily up to the school to enforce that. In a multifaith school it can often cause a divide and that's the last thing that's needed in a classroom environment.

I would also agree that all religions should have a place in the curriculum. More like how they developed over time and why they started in the first place. It's not so much imposing these religions on us but more like teaching us to be more knowledgeable about other people's beliefs about their religion. It will make us more rounded and moral if we do know the history of other people's religions as well as ours, if you do have one.

Back