Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

All Ages Do you prefer boards or computers?

H.C. Heartland

Legacy Member
When I was learning Architectural Design in school, we had large drawing boards as well as computers. I think that the boards were key to being able to understand the concept of what you were doing on the computer. I'm wondering if they still use boards in the classrooms today. What do you prefer; boards or computers? And if so, why?

Well, I do see the need for both. Back when I was in college, we utilised both boards and computers. Although my course was Psychology, we still had lots of lectures so for that, professors use the board. And it was easier copying whatever the professor wrote that way since with projections, they skim through it faster, lol. So with that, I would prefer boards.

For my computer subject though, of course, it's mandatory to have computer hands-on activities. You will be able to learn coding and other topics well this way. I cannot even remember a time that my computer teacher taught us with the use of boards.

Then whenever we have reports, I would prefer either. Sometimes, we're required to just use boards or manila papers. Sometimes, we're required to create powerpoint presentations. And to be honest, both works fine for me.

I think both are important tools and I don't think that one should replace the other. The objective of teaching is for the student to understand the subject. If it's easier to explain in one medium then that one should be used.

I believe both complement each other, boards are more practical but computers are more powerful, so depending on your goals you would use one or the other. I think the idea is to alternate the two, not depend entirely on a computer or a board, and so much of the work without one or the other; I mean, manually, we shouldn't depend so much on technology, of course use it as much as we want but knowing we can also do it on our own.

I prefer computers over boards. It is easier to use programs already installed in computers to learn. You can also easily refer to whatever you are learning while using a computer than when using boards.

I don't have much use for boards when I teach. That's because I prepare my work beforehand and I have all the teaching material in my computer. Then I upload it to one of my cloud devices. At school, there are computers in every room. So I just log on to my cloud device and download my teaching material. Then I use the projector to present the lesson. After that, I post the teaching material on Facebook. My students do not have to copy anything by hand. However, they must do all their assignments by hand. I don't allow typed work because typed work can just be simply copied and pasted.

I have never heard of boards, so I guess I will have to go with computers. I remember the first time I was introduced to a computer, my teacher was beautiful by the way.

We had floppy disk, and games that teach us how to get faster by typing on the keyboards to beat levels, it was really fun. I think it's great for people.

I do think that the traditional boards can still be used to some effect, these days and in the future it is going to shift to computer based systems only so I would have thought that that is now the best way for the learning to go from now on. There's no harm in using the old style boards every no and again, but to prepare a person for a future in a certain job role, then it's imperative that they are taught using the same technology as what they are going to be using in the future, and in this case that is computer systems.

I have never heard of boards, so I guess I will have to go with computers. I remember the first time I was introduced to a computer, my teacher was beautiful by the way.

We had floppy disk, and games that teach us how to get faster by typing on the keyboards to beat levels, it was really fun. I think it's great for people.

You have never heard of boards? Oh, great! That means you must living in a rather advanced country or you are too young to have known what a board is like. Or both. A board is a piece of material, usually wood that is hung on the wall in front of the class. It's big. Some boards are as big as five feet high and ten feet long. Some are just two feet by three feet. The boards are usually green color but they are all called blackboards. The teacher writes on it with a chalk. Here's a picture of a teacher writing on a board:
ai.imgur.com_syxS5dc.jpg

I personally thin kthat computers are the best for this kind of stuff since technology makes everything easier and less complicated to those who definitely need things to be like so, especiallywhen studying.

Using computer carries the following risk: you are going to be teaching using a particular piece of software from a particular brand. For example, AutoCAD, this is problematic as your class could turn into a workshop about the tool itself not the concepts that you are trying to teach. The problem is that, in some fields, some commercial tools basically became de facto standards, (think Photoshop), you should never teach the tool but the actual concept or at least force your students to accomplish the same tasks using different tools while using the computer. The counter argument is that if you are trying to prepare students for the workforce nobody will ever ask them to use paper anymore and you are more likely to get a job interview if you list skills on a particular tool.

I honestly prefer learning on boards than on computers, even though my profs don't have the best penmanship I still understand it more than the computer. I don't know why but maybe because I grew up learning on boards and not on computer. And also writing is much a better practice for the students than typing. Because writing helps our brain to remember and understand most of the lessons which is a good thing when it comes to quizzes and exams.

When I was learning Architectural Design in school, we had large drawing boards as well as computers. I think that the boards were key to being able to understand the concept of what you were doing on the computer. I'm wondering if they still use boards in the classrooms today. What do you prefer; boards or computers? And if so, why?

Boards are still used in classrooms today anywhere in the world. Although, some makes use of projectors but it's still used with a board or white background. Developing countries cannot do without the use of boards because it's what they can afford.

Back