Do you have a close relationship with your parents?

Discussion in 'Health and Relationships' started by classyally, Dec 28, 2011.

1. ssamcd

ssamcd EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Yes I had a great relationship with my parents. My parents are both deceased but when they were alive we had a very close relationship. I come from a family of 7 children. We were very close. I miss my parents dearly everyday. :)

2. Jessi

Jessi EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I think I'm pretty close with my mom. We don't necessarily talk about a lot of personal details and we keep a lot of our own privacy, but I know that if either of us ever needs anything, the other will be there in a heartbeat. We've each had to test that before and it's proven to be really helpful and bring us even closer together.

3. nash22

nash22 EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    I don't have a relationship with my father. He stayed in my neighborhood for years. And still did even try to have a relationship with me. He tried a couple months ago, but went back to the same shenanigans. I haven't seen him since. He recently got sick, and people tried to push me to see him. But I really don't have any feelings for him, so therefore I could care less.

Me and my mom have a love hate relationship.We argue like any other mother and daughter would. We're fine but she tends to treat me as if I'm still underage and live under her roof. But I know my mother means well and she only wants whats best. At end the of the day, I would have it any other way. Because she's my mother and not my best friend. We are not going to agree all the time.

4. novasparker

novasparker EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I have a strained relationship with my mother and I am estranged from my father altogether. My mother is a good person and she means well, but she has a tendency to be overbearing and controlling. This places a strain on what could otherwise be a great relationship. As it is now, we can only tolerate each other in small doses. My father hasn't spoken to me in many years by choice. He and my mother have been divorced for 28 years and he is remarried to a woman I have spoken to twice.

5. Kaybee517

Kaybee517 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I used to have a good relationship with my parents until I married my husband. It's a shame that people in your life can't be happy for you and want you to live life according to their standards vs your own. My relationship with my parents is strained right now since they did not show up to my wedding and have retracted their blessing our union. This too shall pass I suppose. Sometimes life gives you lemons.

6. alis

alis EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Yep, I love my mom. We have a lot of similar interests, go figure. She lives by the beach, so it's really fun to visit. She is an artist, and I'm proud of her talent. I have 4 of her paintings in my house. If I want a particular color or style of painting, then I just call her and she sends it to me. I don't take our relationship for granted, because I know I'm fortunate.

7. kimanthi22

kimanthi22 EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    I am more close to my dad than mum. I bet the reason for this is because my dad always seems to understand my problems better than my mum. Whenever I have any issue bothering me, I always run to my dad who is always there to listen to me. He always seems to have answers to all my question. This has drawn me closer to my dad than my mum. I wish my mum could be less serious and listen to me more.

8. tosin

tosin EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    I am very close to my parents. My Dad is top list, he is a caring one and a very free person. No dull moment with him. My mom...mothers and daughters..we are also close but not as close as i am to my Dad

9. tosin

tosin EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    I am very close to my parents. My Dad is top list, he is a caring one and a very free person. No dull moment with him. My mom...mothers and daughters..we are also close but not as close as i am to my Dad

10. c.shielaann

c.shielaann EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I always envy families like this. Specially those who are close to their parents. My parents were both cops with higher positions so the parenting style that they had with us is different. So I always make sure to be different as I already experienced this kind of parenting. I just my kids to look at me as their bestfriend and mom. Not to be too scared to tell me about how they feel.

11. Millyn

Millyn EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Well i came from a broken family. My parents got separated when i was still five years old, and because of some reasons i was taken away from my mother's care and was brought to my fathers's family. Eversince, i was not able to see my mother and again and i was left in my grandmother's care because my father was also working abroad. So basically i grew up without both my parents so we're not that close really.

12. bravosi

bravosi EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Sadly, no. My family members are too marginalized to be in contact with, as they don't have family values. Godless people, sad to say it.

13. Tehilah27

Tehilah27 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    My siblings and I are all close to my mother. She calls us up almost every day and we talk, make jokes and laugh. She has nicknames for all of us and we all have a nickname for her. We do not act like her children but like her friends or siblings. My father is another story. He was very strict with us when we were growing up, too strict in fact. He also had a temper so the littlest thing would provoke him. Whenever he was at home, we were all on pins and needles and the atmosphere was always tense. Now that we are adults, he's trying to curb his temper and become more friendly but it's too late. Whenever i call him l hardly ever spend up to a minute on the phone with him because i have no idea what to talk to him about. I feel sorry for him because i know he wants the same relationship with us that we have with our mother but it's too little too late.

14. Caguioa747

Caguioa747 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I am now. We got quite distant when I was a teenager, but I think moving away helped giving me my space and freedom and helped us grow closer again (in a weird way, lol),

15. NikSuks

NikSuks EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    My relationship with my parents is okay. I sometimes play cards with my mother for hours and we are having a lot of fun. I usually play outdoors and football with my father and my little brother. But sometimes, they are just boring. They are just asking questions they should not be concerned with. But I guess they do it because they care and worry that nothing bad happens to me.

16. jessie271

jessie271 EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    I'm closer to my mother. I'm more aloof with my father because I didn't grow up very close to him. He was also very strict when we were younger and would easily hit us. My mother is a calm woman.

17. mhingnhormz

mhingnhormz EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Do you have a close relationship with your parents: Blessed yes, parents is my superhero and they are the most trusted person I ever know, I really want to live with them even I already have my own family. They are worth to be love and be respect. I miss them a lot.

18. nrnlss

nrnlss EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    I am close to both of my parents, they are really great people. Although I am more close to my mother since she is a bit of a cool mom and knows a lot about the modern technology, we can talk like we are siblings or just friends.

19. Meshack

Meshack EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I had very good and cordial relationship. It has made me have such a relationship with my kids. Unfortunately all my parents are dead. My dad died in 1993 and my mom followed in 2013

20. Andrijana15

Andrijana15 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I have good relationship with my parents. Of course, we don't agree on some things sometimes, but that's normal. I don't live with them for three years now, but we see each other almost every week, except now when this virus corona is active, but we use video calls. I'm married, I have a baby boy, and they adore him.

As a parent, I love my baby more that anything, and I hope that we will have a great relationship and that we will get along as much as possible.

We believe a good thing should be shared