Do you consume more red meat?

Discussion in 'Health and Relationships' started by sreekumar, Feb 18, 2012.

1. sreekumar

sreekumar EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Is red meat a favorite item included in your daily food? If so, please beware of a new warning on cancer issued. Research news published in British Journal of Cancer reveals that excess consumption of red processed meat may lead to bowel cancer. Since pancreatic cancer has poor survival rates, it is a warning to people excessively consume red meat and burgers. A disease which is diagonized late is often a challenge to doctors. Pancreatic Cancer is termed as a silent killer as symptoms always are vague. But the reports say that it is less dangerous than smoking where the risk rate is about 80%

2. Taylor

Taylor EdChat™ PhD

EdChat Karma:
    Yikes. Not good at all. In the US, we tend to eat a lot of it. :(

3. Niconi

Niconi EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    It depends on the quality of the meat, though. Not to mention a lot of these things become blown out of proportion. If you eat red meat every single day, then yeah, that's probably too much, but if you eat it a few times a week, I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Nick

4. argonaut

argonaut EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Red meat is not a favourite of mine. I like fish.
    My wife has at theory. Eating sheep is fine as they are really dumb. Look into a cows eyes and you will think otherwise.
    There are a lot of issue with eating red meat.Land usage,feeding lots and now health issues. So err on the side of caution and go easy on eating it.

5. Sandra Piddock

Sandra Piddock EdChat™ PhD

EdChat Karma:
    I eat mainly fish and chicken, and eat red meat only 2 - 3 times a month. I live in Spain, and I eat as the Mediterranean people eat, which is lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, and lean protein from fish, poultry and eggs. I do enjoy pork occasionally - it's all free range here, and it tastes wonderful, as well as being very lean. As for lamb, it's the most expensive meat over here, so I hardly ever eat it.

argonaut and (deleted member) like this.
  6. limeylitey

limeylitey EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Yes, I am weight training and it's necessary for me to have my protein needs. Red meat also has creatine which is important.

7. sweetlil7up

sweetlil7up EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    I love my red meat. I don't eat it everyday, but at least a few times a month. I think as long as you are careful it is fine. People are putting cancer warnings on everything these days, honestly I don't know how many of them I take seriously anymore.

8. artistry

artistry EdChat™ B.Ed 2.1

EdChat Karma:
    i have cut down on my consumption of red meat, ever since I read, some years ago that red meat sits in your small intestine and ferments. Which can lead to bad things happening. I love steak, but I limit it in my diet.

9. Taylor

Taylor EdChat™ PhD

EdChat Karma:
    I'm in Japan for a couple of weeks. My goal is to eat no meat aside from fish. I'm interested to see if I feel better than usual.

10. artistry

artistry EdChat™ B.Ed 2.1

EdChat Karma:
    I do not eat a lot of red meat. There is a study, with a UN backing, that promotes eating less red meat, in developed countries because it would mean less fertilizer which emits nitrous oxide. It is said to be the most potent gas, contributing to climate change. Animals producing red meat, produce manure, which is used for fertilizer for food stuff. Eating less red meat means less manure, means less nitrous oxide, means less potent gas.

11. char2011

char2011 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I eat alot of red meat because I love it and really dont think I could stop eating it no matter what the consequence.

12. 1ufakin

1ufakin EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I do not eat too much red meat, i tend to eat more fish, veggies and dairy products.

13. okamiberry

okamiberry EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    I love red meat but I do not over eat it. I especially like a good beef steak done medium rare. However, I hardly eat it as my family does not eat beef. They do eat ostrich meat though. That is considered red meat right? I heard that ostrich meat is a good and healthier substitute than beef. It has been proven that ostrich meat is low in cholesterol, etc.

14. twinsmommy

twinsmommy EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I don't eat a lot of red meat. We eat a lot of chicken and fish with lots of fresh vegetables and fruits. We do have red meat sometimes, just not very often. Every once in awhile I will crave a nice juicy steak.

15. aphil

aphil EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I do not eat read meat. I have been a vegan for over 30 years. I am glad to see you share this information with everyone to help protect their health. It really isn't easy cutting back on the amount of meat you eat because it is so much apart of world culture and diet. You know, you aren't realyy eating unless you have a nice chunk of meat. It is true though that everything in moderation is the safest way to go. I hope everyone will make a true effort to cut back.

16. ClearSky

ClearSky EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I don't really like red meat, but I don't really dislike it you know what I mean?
    Like Gyro meat(homemade) is wonderful, but grimy burgers that have been
    sitting in a tray for who knows how long are just the worst.

17. alis

alis EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Thanks for the info. We do love red meat here, but eat it sparingly. Unfortunately, it can get expensive. In summer we do consume more of it, because of bar-b-ques. I eat a lot of eggs. It is a quick and less expensive meal. Plus it cooks up immediately. I love convenience, even over taste.

18. Jessi

Jessi EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Realistically, anything I do, eat, drink, travel in, etc, can kill me at some point. I keep it in moderation, but I'm not going to stop eating it entirely.

Guy likes this.
  19. Youlovejordan

Youlovejordan EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Absolutely not, I recently cut back on all meat so I don't really have the urge to consume red meat.

20. Kaybee517

Kaybee517 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I'm not a big red meat eater. I have a hamburger once in a while. I really just stick to chicken or turkey breast meat most of the time. Did the article mention what is it about red meat that causes higher risk of cancer?

We believe a good thing should be shared