Do you allow your children to play video games during weekdays?

Discussion in 'Health and Relationships' started by lindbergh, May 15, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindbergh EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    When I was in grade school, my parents got me a NES. When I was in high school, they got me a PS1. But there were certain rules that need to be followed. When there were classes, I was not allowed to play video games during weekdays. During weekends, I could play video games when all my assignments are done.

When do you allow your children to play video games?

2. AmYy

AmYy EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    I think your parents did a good job making that restriction to you. And I think all the parents should consider it, because we all know that video games affect our social activity and, as the time goes, it can become a serious addiction. So, make your children cut down on video games as much as possible!

3. lindbergh

lindbergh EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Yep, it could be very addicting for young ones, teens and young adults. And it could really affect studying habits. After playing extensively during the weekends, it would take me a while in order to be able to concentrate on my studies at school the day after.

I guess it's good for parents to limit their children's time with video games. However, I still see a lot of children playing video games at internet cafes even during weekends and even when it's getting late.

4. AmYy

AmYy EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Yes it's really sad to see that parents let those kids play evev when it's getting late, it's such a neglect that I can't really understand. If they don't learn at their early age how to deal with their obligations and be responsible and reliable, it will be hard for them to learn it later and by just playing video games, they are delaying their obligations and just doing what they feel like doing.

5. camella wallace

camella wallace EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Well i think it depends on how responsible a child is and how well they're doing in school... once my children complete their assignments and do their assigned chores then i will allow them to play video games for a hour while they are snacking ...so far i haven't realized it having any negative impact on their performance in school.

6. Mpho Ashworth

Mpho Ashworth EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    This is where adults/parents have to stand up and be counted. I'd say the best thing would be to scale right back in giving children access to their gadgets during the week. Between school work, lessons, homework, family time and early nights, there's very little time left over for games. As we all know, they are very addictive even to adults. It can also be easy for adults to use TV/gadgets/games and modern technology as "baby sitters", which is a very slippery path to the destruction of a child's normal, health development. So it has to be up to responsible parents/guardians to regulate their use by children. I don't think there's any harm in being a bit more lenient at the weekend and allocating kids more time on games/gadgets, still with supervision.

7. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    My parents let my brother and I play video games during the week and basically whenever we wanted as long as our homework was done. We weren't supervised much when we were kids, but we got good grades all throughout school.

8. jannah

jannah EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    There's no noticeable effect, positive or negative, for kids who play one to three hours of video games compared to kids who playnone. And once a child is spending three hours or more in front of their Nintendo, video games begin to take their toll.

9. theresajane

theresajane EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    In my own opinion, it's not that bad to let the children play something that they want even just for a while during weekends. As it's not violent, then I personally believe that it's fine.

10. Andrijana15

Andrijana15 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    My parents thought me that I should know where to draw a line. I haven't had nintendo, ps, or any gaming console I played games on the computer. I always had freedom, and I could have played games all day, but I didn't. I played games sometimes when I wanted but moderately, almost always less then an hour. I knew that it was bad for my eyes, and my health, and there are many other useful and better things to spend your time. There was only one game that I really liked, zoo tysoon, that's the only game which I played an hour or two for some time.

I was more interested in listening to music, singing, I played flute, so I spent most of my time in music school, or in school preparations for performances, competitions and I was very good at school. I regret nothing.

Now I have a child, he is almost two years old, and I take him outside as much as possible, we play with toys when we are inside, and when I do chores he wants to help me. Of course, I only let him help me with something that is safe for him. He likes to help me vacuum up, and to prepare some of the food.

I let him listen to music, and watch baby songs on youtube, but also moderately. About 20 minutes sometimes when he eats, and during the day when I wash the dishes or do some chores, when my husband is working.

When he grows up more, I'll explain everything to him, now he is still young for that.

We believe a good thing should be shared