Do years in a relationship matter?

Discussion in 'Health and Relationships' started by pauuum, Jan 14, 2019.

1. pauuum

pauuum EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    What if you've been in a long term relationship and just trying to save it while being inlove with somebody else?

2. Calvin Gold 06
    Amazed

Calvin Gold 06 EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    For me, years in a relationship really matters because time teaches us everything, like acceptance,love, loyalty and forgiveness.

3. Tina Bailey
    Cheerful

Tina Bailey EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I think years in a relationship matter. I have been in a relationship for 15 years. I look forward to 16. It is an incentive to work hard to keep your relationship going. It is also a milestone that you both have accomplished together.

4. Erika1358

Erika1358 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    If you've been together with someone for so long, it may not be the same as before. No butterflies, no sparks, no fireworks, no rainbows, and colorful fluff. It will lead you to think you no longer love him or her and end up "falling in love" with someone new. This feeling could be misleading. It could lead to drastic consequences. I think it would be better if you work out your relationship with the person you're with now. Talk, communicate, settle differences, remember what made you fall in love with him or her, and remember what made you stay with him or her for that long. Don't be driven by your emotions and be led by this so called "love" for someone else. You never know if you just mistook loneliness for love.

5. junrose123

junrose123 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    This is a tough question that is a little hard to answer because it would really depends on a certain individual. But of course for my own point of view, years in a relationship really matters because we learn to know the true characteristics and attitude of our partner if we are in a relationship for a longer period of time. We learn if we are compatible with each other and if we really love one another. This is one of the things that time can tell and give with us.

6. rose61
    Approved

rose61 EdChat™ B.Ed 2.1

EdChat Karma:
    For me,years in a relationship don't matter.Sometimes too much familiarity breeds contempt.After a certain period of time in a relationship, people should move to the next level.

7. jannah

jannah EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Of course not, why we should stay in a relationship if we are not happy anymore.

8. Irenerichards

Irenerichards EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    The number of years a relationship has lasted does not matter. What matters is the connection between the couple. I have seen people date for five years and break up only to marry other people after dating them for a few months.

9. Andrijana15

Andrijana15 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I was in the same position three years ago. I was in a relationship for two years, and then I fell in love with another man. Trust me, I was really confused, scared, nothing was understandable at first.

There were many possible incomes in my head. I could have stayed with my boyfriend and everything would be the same and good. The other possibility was to stay with him, and after some time we could break up anyway, but I wouldn't know what would be like with the other one.

Third possibility was that I could have left my boyfriend, and be with that other man, and it wouldn't be good, maybe I would wonder why I left my first boyfriend. Maybe I would even come back to him. I also could have ended up giving up on both of them.

After everything, I needed some time to think, and after that I left my boyfriend, and started dating that other man. He is my husband now. I realized that my previous relationship started being bad already, we had lots of problems and what not, I would have broken up with him anyway. My husband just made me realize where the things really were, and luckily, everything was great since then.

Of course, I could have been wrong, who knows what could have happened, but I decided to start something new, fresh, and give us a chance to be together, not just stay in a relationship because it was long and 'safe'. My previous boyfriend has had many, many chances to change, but he didn't. So why would I miss a chance with somebody else? If everything was in right place, if I was happy enough, maybe I wouldn't even fall in love with my husband, I don't know.

If I stayed with my previous boyfriend, I would miss a chance being with my husband and baby, and I love them very much.

So think about why have you fallen in love with another man? Think about the risk you are willing to take, or if you are not ready. Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020

We believe a good thing should be shared