Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

All Ages Discussing design principles using Canva

Astra Gray Herondale

Legacy Member
Canva is pretty famous in my daughter's university as a beginner-friendly, easy-to-use graphic design platform that helps you create virtually any visual content with pre-designed customizable templates and layouts. What do you think of using online softwares and websites like these to teach or introduce graphic design to young students?

What I know is that it produces quick, good results for anybody —pro or not. It is a good place to start if you need something good quick and you are not a pro, and doesn't have the cash to hire a pro.

What I know is that it produces quick, good results for anybody —pro or not. It is a good place to start if you need something good quick and you are not a pro, and doesn't have the cash to hire a pro.

I agree. It's great for beginners who have minimal experience in using more advanced designing platforms like those in the Adobe suite. Actually, just by looking at the templates, you can observe the design principles being used by the original artist. I personally find it difficult to create a color palette of my own, but I've been learning a lot by looking at Canva's templates. I think Canva is a good place to start with for newbies in the field, before transitioning to platforms that are more complex.

Exactly. And the feature that allows you to tweak an original design ensures that there will always be new design formats available.

They have indeed simplified graphics design, and I'm thinking that it may all be hitting on the real graphics designers who may have had a large part of their market base chipped off by the ingenious service provided by Canva

Using online platforms to teach graphic design to students is convenient, but let's also remember that this is an online site and there's no guarantee that works will be saved. I've been using canva for a year now and yes it's amazing for a free site but I've had this site suddenly wipe out all my saved designs not once but twice. This is great for practicing and it's one of the best online site to try out since the users can upload their own photos and arts to use in their design. It's quite easy to use that even my 9 year old son used it with ease to make himself a Fortnite wallpaper. Users also have the option to choose ready made templates that they can easily edit and change or they can choose to work on a blank template. They even have templates for everything you can possibly need an image for, logo, fb post, instagram story, instagram post, wallpapers, everything!

Back