Welcome to Atomic Academia

ⓘ The Age of Data

All Ages Did you study another religion?

remnant

Legacy Member
I have encountered cases where students have to study a religion other than their own. This occurs in schools of their choice which offer one elective in this regard. For example, I remember a Muslim classmate in high school who used to take CRE. Do such students experience internal conflicts? Or is it a new learning experience altogether?

What an interesting set of questions. Well, I grew up in a religious household, and ended up in a completely different tradition when I became an adult. Was there stress-the better question for me is 'Why is there STILL stress about this?'. So, in answer to your question-yes, they experience internal conflict, particularly if the tradition they were taught has loyalty lessons (most do-as a matter of course). The internal conflict is also linked to trying to understand how God can be one thing, and Man have so many interpretations of what that is, and should be. Taking classes is generally a learning experience, but it can be extremely painful if the experience slaps 'truth' as it is understood in the face every time the student is in class. Imagine the thought that even hearing of another doctrine could cancel your life of love, piety and servitude-your path to paradise, and land you in Hell! It makes research, discussion, homework, study groups, and assignments extra difficult.

I think that learning about other religion can benefit you quite a lot. You'll become quite knowledgeable in not just your own religion, but also about other religion. And also, I think it's quite important to understand your own religion first before diving into other religion. As for me, I haven't got the chance yet to study other religion, but I'm interested in doing so whenever I got the chance.

I came from a family that's rather open about religious beliefs. My grandfather was very open-minded about the traditional Chineses practice of offering food at altars. He would eat the food if he felt hungry. Of course, my grandmother wasn't that happy about what he did. My own father didn't have any fixed religious beliefs. He said he wanted to be free to attend any place of worship he wanted to. In my school, there are students from many different religious backgrounds. Studying about other religions is part of the syllabus. We learned about all the major religions of the world. When I grew up, I delved a bit deeper into a few religions. I think this is good because it gives me a broader view of the world.

Here in the UK, we do study other religions in most schools but not in any great detail to be honest. The Religious Education classes that we have over here only touch on the basics of each religion and teach about the concepts behind it and why people believe in what they do. A lot of the education revolves around the facts and figures of a religion and about what each religion values, and while it certainly doesn't try and convert us into believing one religion over another, I do think that it can imply what we should believe in depending on what the teacher is like, and if they themselves are religious, I think that there's obviously going to be a danger of them pushing their views onto the children rather than just sticking to the curriculum.

I would think that this is really valuable for our students. The more I think about it, though, I can see the arguments of "why" starting to creep up, and I cannot really say I have a great answer. We want to teach tolerance, but you have to question everything about the teachings and I am not sure if everything would play out well. It is an interesting idea though.

Learning about another religion should be a fun activity for students who either aren't followers of that religion. Take as an example Islam and Christianity. Muslims and Christians are both followers of Abrahamic religions and though there are some irreconcilable differences most of the things a Muslims will learn in a Christian class, they already know.

I remember reading about the Greeks and their religion. Did it make me experience internal conflicts? No. That I believe is the response you'd get from most students learning about other religions or religions in general if they are atheists.

Learning about other religions can be eye opening as long as they are taught without any sort of bias. Thee's no doubt that religion causes a lot of problems in the world, and while learning about these religions is a good thing and the more people know about them the more they can try and understand, at the same time the person teaching does have to make sure that they are fair and teach about all the different religions without singling one out over another.

I don't really consider that religion is something you should study or investigate by yourself because you'll always end up with more and even more doubts than the ones you already had right before getting the great idea of finding out about stuff, so no, I've never considered 'studying' any other religion besides catholicism.

I think it is а fаntаstiс idеа tо lеаrn whаt оthеr rеligiоns bеliеvе аnd why thеy bеliеvе it. аftеr аll, thе purpоsе оf rеligiоn is tо bring us сlоsеr tо Gоd. Sо if thе gоd(s), tоwаrd whiсh а сеrtаin rеligiоn lеаds yоu, dо nоt асtuаlly еxist, thеn fоllоwing thаt rеligiоn is rеаlly аllоwing yоursеlf tо bе lеаd tоwаrd nоthing аt аll, whiсh mеаns thе rеligiоn is nоt fulfilling it's purpоsе. Sо I еnсоurаgе yоu tо study thеsе оthеr rеligiоns with аn оpеn mind аnd dесidе fоr yоursеlf whiсh оnе, if аny, yоu find tо соrrеlаtе tо rеаlity.

it's а gооd thing tо lеаrn аbоut аll rеligiоns tо а bаsiс lеvеl, but thеn, simply bесаusе sо muсh hаs bееn writtеn аbоut thеm thаt nо humаn саn аssimilаtе аll оf thе thеоlоgiсаl writings оut thеrе, tо соnсеntrаtе оn thе rеligiоn whiсh spеаks tо yоu mоst. Rеligiоn соmеs frоm thе sаmе rооt аs thе wоrd "ligаmеnt" аnd mеаns tо rесоnnесt with Gоd. Humаns аrе vеry divеrsе аnd diffеrеnt pеоplе rесоnnnесt with Gоd in diffеrеnt wаys. Sоmе pеоplе еvеn rесоnnесt with Gоd thrоugh sсiеnсе, аnd thеn саll thеir Gоd "sсiеnсе." аnywаy, it isn't sо muсh а bаd idеа tо lеаrn еvеrything thеrе is tо knоw аbоut аll thе diffеrеnt rеligiоns sо muсh аs it's impоssiblе tо асhiеvе within а humаn lifеtimе.

In Buddhism, sоmе Tеасhеrs sаy thаt studеnts shоuld сhооsе оnе Tеасhеr аnd fоllоw him, nоt jumping bеtwееn tеасhеrs hеrе аnd thеrе.
First, it mеаns thаt wе shоuld rеаlly study whаt wе study.
Nоt bеing supеrfiсiаl. Rеаlly еxpеriеnсing thе Tеасhing, nоt just bеing sаtisfiеd with vаguе imаgеs оr "hеаrd sоmеthing".
Sесоnd, vаriоus Tеасhеrs саn tеасh diffеrеntly, ассоrding tо diffеrеnt sidеs оf оur prоblеms.
Sоmе pеоplе саn sее соntrаdiсtiоns thеrе, еvеn whеn thеrе аrе nо rеаl соntrаdiсtiоns. еvеn in tеасhings оf Buddhа sоmе pеоplе соuld sее соntrаdiсtiоns.

Yes, I did study about Muslim religion. I mean we are taught to respect other culture and religion so it follows that we are taught of different religion. Social studies class make sure that we learn and understand some of it, even if we are not going to embrace it.

Back