The Education Chat Network

Here you can discuss teaching, tutoring and all things educational.
Teaching? You can access lessons and resources made by teachers for teachers, provide tutoring services or classes online.
Studying? You can find an expert tutor to boost your grade, ask questions in the forum, attend online classes and much more.

Ages 11-16+ [Secondary] Boxing as a youth sport?

Married2Teacher

EdChat™ Nomad
Dec 19, 2018
Time was amateur boxing was a fairly common youth sport in the United States. It was still around when I was young, but I don't see it any more. I'm not sure why that is the case. Maybe it is cultural or maybe liability reasons. Boxing training is very intense and I've found the routines (weight training, speedbag, heavy bag, jump rope, etc.) still a great way to stay in shape.

Thoughts on this making a come back? Why or why not? Thanks.

WallEPug

EdChat™ Nomad
Dec 18, 2018
I think it has diminished in fame because there are other better sports that catch children's attention at an early age. Sports like football, American football, basketball are more famous and hence kids want to go into those. Boxing is still a fairly big sporting industry it's just as not much liked as it was before.

axl2468

EdChat™ Nomad
Dec 22, 2018
Unfortunately I don't think it's making a comeback like it was before. Sports like Football and Basketball are getting more and more popular as sports for short-attention span kids, also e-sports is slowly getting more popular which encourages more children to avoid physical sports. Boxing is still popular, though.

Caguioa747

EdChat™ Nomad
Dec 10, 2018
Boxing for youth? I don't think so. Because i don't think their body is not yet ready for that punishment. Boxing for me is for a big guy sport, but for the youth i think it is too early or too much.

Michael Burgos

EdChat™ Nomad
Dec 19, 2018
I believe that boxing is a good sport. It will teach you discipline, healthy lifestyles and sportsmanship. Great boxers starts practicing boxing since they were young like Manny Pacquiao. However, I believe that boxing is not for everybody. Maybe we can have a good facilities that can accommodate those interested young people to have a proper training.

dullian

EdChat™ Esquire
Dec 17, 2018
I agree that it's not a sport as popular as others. Also, the physical aspect of such sport is rather aggressive, I don't think a lot of parents are willing to submit their children to such a violent and potentially dangerous activity. It's not a bad sport, no sport is bad, just risky. I think it's more appropriate for teenagers and more physically developed and healthy youngsters.

DamianTyrell

EdChat™ Nomad
Jan 9, 2019
If I had been given the to opportunity to learn how to box when I was in high school I might have taken that class. Other sports didn't appeal to me. To me boxing has its beauty and obvious athleticism and there is a romanticism to is. Just you and another person "duking it out". If it can be taught safely I think boxing should be taught to those who want to learn it.

Tehilah27

EdChat™ Nomad
Dec 17, 2018
Nige
It is usually footballers, basketballers, car racers etc that are famous and well known around the world so lots of parents encourage their children to try out for those sports. In my country, football is the widely accepted and watched sport so there isn't much drive for boxing. At home, we always preferred to watch football or wrestling to watching boxing. It is only recently I watched a few boxing rounds and found them interesting. I won't go out of my way to watch it but if there's nothing else to watch, I'll take it. I don't think it'll ever be the same as before but the sport won't die out because there are still lots of people interested in it.

ART36

EdChat™ Nomad
Dec 22, 2018
Time was amateur boxing was a fairly common youth sport in the United States. It was still around when I was young, but I don't see it any more. I'm not sure why that is the case. Maybe it is cultural or maybe liability reasons. Boxing training is very intense and I've found the routines (weight training, speedbag, heavy bag, jump rope, etc.) still a great way to stay in shape.

Thoughts on this making a come back? Why or why not? Thanks.
In my opinion, it is a good sport for physical fitness but I do not really think it is good to our children especially from 7 to 11 years old children. I do prefer to teach them sports like volleyball or basketball because it is more fun and safe than boxing. It that particular ages , most of them are not interested on sports like boxing it is because they want a full enjoyable sport.

Alania

EdChat™ Nomad
Dec 19, 2018
It's good, as long as supervised properly. Kadyrov was hosting MMA fights, so I don't see why boxing is bad. Kids must learn how to be men, and how to protect themselves. I hope it won't get abused though by some.

jumar

EdChat™ Nomad
Jan 10, 2019
I think boxing is a great sport but I believe that it's not for everyone, only the best of the best athletes should compete in boxing. I mean boxing is a brutal sport it can seriously harm you if you don't know what your doing and to answer your question I think not, kids should not be competing in boxing for many reasons.

NewbieGainers

EdChat™ Nomad
Jan 10, 2019
Cubao, Quezon City, PH
Boxing is good! but the thing nowadays is MMA or Mixed Martial Arts. MMA really is a great skill to learn so as boxing but I'd say if you enroll on a program go with MMA. The sport is so broad that you can learn a lot from it and use it on practical ways. (you know if someone wants to mug you on the streets) It also includes boxing implements so what's there to not like it?

Ashley Nicole

EdChat™ Nomad
Jan 12, 2019
Boxing is great, but these days, kids are more into Football, baseball, etc. (and sports their friends are into). That being said, Boxing should definitely make a come back. I have three kids in martial arts, and they would enjoy boxing classes. As a matter of fact, I have looked, and there are ZERO within a 50 mile radius from us. We always try to check out the "less popular" stuff, we keep all options open.

Anna Liza Galang

EdChat™ Nomad
Jan 12, 2019
In North America, thousands of boys and girls younger than 19 years of age are participating in boxing. Although boxing provides benefits to participants including exercise, self-discipline and self-confidence, the sport boxing rewards deliberate blows to the head and face which is very dangerous to the participants. Participants in boxing are at risk of head, face and neck injuries and even fatal neurological injuries. Participants are aware that their lives are at risk but they still want to do what they love so who are we to stop them. If they love what they are doing let them, support them.

Porps

EdChat™ Nomad
Jan 10, 2019
Boxing is a good sport, but it's not for everybody. I love boxing because the first thing they learn while on training is self discipline and not to use boxing for bullying or abusing other people. But when I see on TV someone got knocked out inside the ring, I also feel the pain especially if the man is from my country. But anyway it's sports, there's someone has to lose and win or maybe a draw at the end.

Wilfredo Vasquez

EdChat™ Esquire
Dec 17, 2018
Personally as a sport I avoid combat sports, which could involve causing physical damage to a rival in order to achieve victory, I see that more as disciplines oriented to self-defense, but not as competitive sports, however, there are countries in which boxing is very popular, especially those who have had world championships in some of its modalities.

I agree that this activity demands very good physical abilities in those who practice it and it may be more appropriate for it to be practiced when people have a little more awareness of the possible collateral effect that this activity could have on their own body and on that of their opponent. .

marchenry

EdChat™ Nomad
Jan 13, 2019
This sports are what parents tell their children to avoid. I also think it is not very ideal for a young person just developing to experience hits and blows on his body. I love boxing but i'm just bothered if they will start young and their body is not yet ready to be hurt. Starting to train young can really give boxers an advantage but sparring at a young age, I think that will really impact them when they become old.

Dekaron

EdChat™ Nomad
Jan 19, 2019
Boxing is a great way for anyone to stay and be on shape. As for the young ones, it teaches them about discipline and how they can defend themselves. But still, I don't think it is a good idea to make people at a young age to box out against somebody else. I guess shadow boxing is a better choice to practice the sport for this age. This way they can prevent hurting themselves or others, unless it is necessary. As self defense for example

jsoriano10

EdChat™ Nomad
Jan 13, 2019
I don't think boxing is for everyone, let alone for kids. Boxing is an individual combat sport which promotes self discipline, however, it can be physically damaging in the long run. Intentional blows to the face and head and fatal punches to the body increase overall physical injuries of boxing athletes. Although this can be useful as self-defense, without proper guidance, kids can manifest violent behaviors which can lead them to develop anger management issues and them bullying other kids. I personally think that there are alternative sports that children can participate in which could benefit them more. Basketball, Volleyball and Football are getting more popular these days as they encourage team work and improve interpersonal skills. These sports also promote healthier and active lifestyle.

gogxmagog

EdChat™ Nomad
Jan 14, 2019
the training part of boxing is indeed excellent exercise but the actual sparring, hitting each other in the face and head... this is not a healthy activity. Even with gloves and helmets there is still significant impact and damage to the brain. Never mind getting knocked out, any repeated impact to the skull has been proven scientifically to cause organic brain damage.

I don't want to be a "kill joy" but I think you might encounter serious complaints, possibly legal repercussions if you had adolescents participating in boxing matches. One bad blow to the head can cause life-long problems.

Do the training; jumping rope, speed bad, cardio, weight training.... but I advise against letting, let alone encouraging children to strike each other with their fists.