Being A Cool Teacher

Discussion in 'Key Stage 5 (Ages: 16–18)' started by hafiz93, Mar 14, 2016.

1. hafiz93

hafiz93 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Students love cool teachers. So they are teachers out there that tries to be cool enough to develop a closer relationship with the students, and it works at times. But there are teachers out there that're too cool, that the students ended up disrespecting them. If the teacher gives them assignment, the students will think,"Eh, it's just Mr. T's work. He wouldn't care if I don't do it.". Basically students view them as not caring rather than being cool. So there are limits to being a cool teacher. I think teachers should be strict in some areas despite being cool. Try to subtly relate to the students rather than just being a "rad teacher".

- Advertisement -
  3. artyarson

artyarson EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    Yep, sure. A teacher can be very friendly to you however he/she can't be your buddy. To me, the best teacher is the one who cares about his/her students and tries to find a way to succeed for each one individually, despite it's a class.

4. iTeachScience

iTeachScience EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    I think that having the students' respect is more important than seeming 'cool' to the students. If students respect a teacher and the teacher performs their job well, there should not be an issue of students not doing their work. Teachers who attempt to be their students' friends usually end up flopping, due to disrespect from the students, staff, or both. There is nothing wrong with building relationships with students as a teacher, however, those relationships should not reach 'friend' territory.

5. remnant

remnant EdChat™ M.Ed

EdChat Karma:
    It depends on what you mean by being cool. A teacher should be a chameleon. One minute you are a friend, the other a parent and still another a disciplinarian. A teacher should flawlessly transition between these areas. But the default disposition should be that of a friendly parent. Teachers should set limits as students pull every string to test the boundaries.

6. BurbleGurm

BurbleGurm EdChat™ Nomad

EdChat Karma:
    I think that if you are trying to be cool, you aren't cool. It implies that you have to do more than be yourself. Some people's positive quality is that they are intelligent rather than cool, and they would be better off using their intelligence than trying to force the idea that they are cool upon others.

7. Varerii

Varerii EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Cool to me sends an image of an aloof substitute that pops in a movie and does nothing for the rest of the class. The coolest teachers aren't the ones who pander to the students or are ridiculously lenient. Those teachers end up getting stepped up and turning into misanthropes. I try to take the lead of teachers who were dominant, mature role models in the classroom. Those people had control over the class, could discuss anything and keep the levels of attention in check, and lend an ear to troubled students then offer sound advice. A teacher doesn't need to be cool. A teacher needs to be a compassionate guide, a respected leader, and a worthwhile educator.

iTeachScience likes this.
  8. MelanthaKrasos

MelanthaKrasos EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    I had tried to be cool in order to reach out to my students. Yet, some of the realization struck me along the way. First, the strategy will not work for all and some will just end up going over the bound. Students nowadays will put you inside their pocket if you let them. Of course, their are students who are not like that as well. I think I just need to act depending on the situation.

9. Zeus20

Zeus20 EdChat™ Esquire

EdChat Karma:
    Sometimes being a teacher is not a good idea, because there are some students who take the advantage when the teacher is good or cool to them, they abuse it and do silly things because they think that the teacher is too good that's why they wont get punished. Look at the terror teachers, they are well respected and their students don't do silly things because they are afraid, so as the result, they behave at class and focus on the lesson. Being good and cool to others is not always a good idea, because some of the students doesn't know their limitations.

We believe a good thing should be shared