The Education Chat Network

Here you can discuss teaching, tutoring and all things educational.
Teaching? You can access lessons and resources made by teachers for teachers, provide tutoring services or classes online.
Studying? You can find an expert tutor to boost your grade, ask questions in the forum, attend online classes and much more.

At what age to start teaching personal hygiene

MrsJones

EdChat™ Nomad
Dec 4, 2014
Ohio
I don't remember what age that I was taught about personal hygiene. I do remember becoming aware of how one should take care of their body in biology but I'm sure I learned before then, but at when do you begin teaching school age children about appropriately taking care of their bodies e.g. using deodorant, sanitary napkins, cleaning ears, etc.?

hellonamesdana

EdChat™ Nomad
Dec 10, 2014
I think that throughout childhood, you teach them step by step. This is something my parents did not teach my brother and I, and now that I'm an adult I kind of had to teach myself in a way. But kids as young as three or four should be taught to wash their hands and brush their teeth, then as they get older add the showering on your own, deodrant, shaving, cleaning specific parts of your body, ect.

Juno

EdChat™ Nomad
Dec 5, 2014
Personal hygiene starts at the very beginning. Everything you do for your child and later do with them becomes practice and habit. If you keep your child clean they will want to stay clean from an early age. My son at age one would point to dirty or sticky things or hands, because he didn't like it. It think this came from consistent cleanliness.

missbookworm

EdChat™ Nomad
Nov 23, 2015
I believe that children should already know about proper hygiene as early as possible, probably around 2-4 years old. Always let them know that cleanliness is next to godliness. Step by step, teach them how to wash their hands properly, brush their teeth, take a bath, etc.

atanas12

EdChat™ Nomad
Nov 22, 2015
bulgaria
I agree that personal hygiene should start from the day they are born. As parents we should teach them to wash their hair, clean their teeth, dress in clean clothes. As time progresses we teach them on washing their hands and such.

It is a progression thing that you cannot just bring up in school when they are 14. It is our jobs as parents and teachers to re-inforce these issues on them every day.